• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

adhesive for letters

CanuckSigns

Hey all:

I'm making a sign for a client, pretty simple, MDO backboard, painted with latex paints, I cut some letters out of 1/4" acrylic, which I want to mount on standoffs to the board.

I cut little 0.5" dia. circles out of 3/8" thick acrylic to use as my standoffs, these will be fastened to the back side of the letters with "acry-weld" adhesive, about 4-5 circles per letter (letters are about 8" tall)

My question is, what is the best way to attach the stand offs to the board? Normally I would use a mechanical fastener, but it's not an option in this case.

I was thinking of using a dab of construction adhesive on the back of each standoff, would that be sufficent do you think? any other suggestions?

Cheers!

J Hill Designs

you can drill/tap the standoffs and create a small stud that goes 3/4 of the way into the MDO .. stud/silicone should hold well

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Seems like drilling the spacers out so they can slide over the studs would be the easiest. Then drill the MDO for the studs and use silicone.

CanuckSigns

I've never had much luck with tapping acrylic, it always cracks on me lol.

is there any adhesive you would trust in this situation? My main concern will be the big temperature swings we get here from summer to winter

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
So what if the back of the sign is visible, slap a panel on the back to hide the attachment.

5-6 discs seems like a lot to me. Fewer stand-offs and mechanically attaching it and hiding the attachment with a panel seems like a cleaner solution.

Or drill through the acrylic discs and countersink, screw in the stand offs (You don't have to go all the way through) with a dab of epoxy, attach the letters carefully with your pattern. Bob's yer uncle

CanuckSigns

So what if the back of the sign is visible, slap a panel on the back to hide the attachment.

5-6 discs seems like a lot to me. Fewer stand-offs and mechanically attaching it and hiding the attachment with a panel seems like a cleaner solution.

Or drill through the acrylic discs and countersink, screw in the stand offs (You don't have to go all the way through) with a dab of epoxy, attach the letters carefully with your pattern. Bob's yer uncle

Yeah I came to the same conclusion about screwing right through the discs, that idea sounds like a winner to me!

Cheers everyone :toasting: