• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adhesive removal on pan face?

SignManiac

I have two 3'x12 pan face signs that were covered with digital prints. The vinyl is being pulled off with a lot of effort, but the adhesive is staying behind. I know I can use rapid remover to soften it up then scrape off. Are there any other cheaper chemicals that would get the adhesive off yet not harm the plastic face?

Searched the forum but didn't find any answers. Thanks,

d fleming

Not really, just did a box truck wrap that had to have large amounts of adhesive removed and was oxidized badly to boot. 3 1/2 hrs and almost a gallon of remover later, it was ready to wrap. Used a power washer for final clean and to be sure rivets (oh lord the rivets) were clean enough to wrap. Would hate to guess how long it would have taken with product other than rapid remover.

SignManiac

About what I was expecting to hear... I really hate vinyl removal, keeping track of time and material for billing. Thanks!

tsgstl

If I use it in public I almost always hear "ooo that smells so good like oranges" I want to punch them.
Being covered in adhesive buggers and probably cutting down my life expectancy with every use. I swear I have gotten sinus infections from it. But yeah time will eat up your profit before a $10-$20 amount of remover.

Depending on your relationship with the customer, offer them or one of their employees to do the dirty work and just take out that part of the bid. Charge them for how much rapid remover they use and be done with it.

SignManiac

Fortunately the customer is fine. They never question anything I do for them. They go out of their way to tell me all the time how much they appreciate the service I provide for them. Wish they all were this good!

CES020

If I use it in public I almost always hear "ooo that smells so good like oranges" I want to punch them.

I removed frosted vinyl from 2 glass doors that covered the entire doors almost completely. I had 1 o r 2 ladies come by and say "Oh, I love that smell, it smells like oranges". I was thinking "Awesome, at least they aren't complaining which will mean that I have to stop and come back later".

Of course not 5 minutes later, another lady comes by "That smell is awful. I can't stand it".

That's why working in commercial offices is always an adventure. It one person loves it, one won't like it, no matter what.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hate to say it, but we use a 3M adhesive remover. We get it at the automotive store. It costs about $14. a qt. Put it on a little generously, let it soak for maybe 5 minutes and then scrap with a plastic razor blade. It doesn't melt or haze the plastic.

We start with a simple household cleaner available at Dollar General called Greased Lightning. Sometimes magically it will work almost flawlessly to remove certain adhesives. If that doesn't work, we pull out the Grafix Gone and if that doesn't work, we resort to the 3M adhesive remover. We haven't run into a situation yet where one of those three wouldn't work.

Edna

3M remover, OR Senior Martin remover (NAPA auto parts). Apply it, let it sit 1-2 min, apply more and scrape with a plastic razor. Then wash again with the remover. Be sure to clean it all off BEFORE re-lettering. Have a nice day.

qmr55

Bob do yourself a favor and purchase a HOT water power washer, we use it to remove the glue left behind on EVERYTHING and it works magic. A job that would normally take an hour or more to strip using regular methods, we can do in a matter of 10 minutes.

SignManiac

I'll look into a steamer. It took about 1.5 hours per face to strip off print and remove adhesive. Rapid remover and squeegee to scrape with. Had to do them with the bucket truck, there were 20' high. I think I just learned I don't like doing this kind of work. Not my cup of tea!

signage

Nope an actual power washer. Very high pressure and very hot. Have had more success with this than any steamer I could ever try. Have tried many too!

A steam Jenny has a heater (boiler) that heats the water to near steam then it is pumped out at high pressure.

How does the one you are talking about get hot water without having a boiler?

slappy

i had a customer once that decided to do it himself using goo gone... and he RUINED the pan face with it

DizzyMarkus

How does the one you are talking about get hot water without having a boiler?

I have used these and they do work great -- run off kerosene with a coil of copper around the "pot". Water gets very hot, but I dont think to the point of steam. The one I used run off an electric pump and the heated coils. Most likely the same machine just different names :0)

Markus