• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

adhesive

p3

Ok, I have a van that a customer wants the wrap removed, I had a previous post on this but didn't really get anything. The vinyl has been on the van for around 5 years. The only way I am able to get the vinyl off is to heat it a ton with the heat gun and pull, but it leaves a ton of adhesive behind. I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for removing it. The way I normally would do it is I have general purpose adhesive remover I got from a paint store and kind of scratch it up with a razor blade, but since this is such a big surface would take some time, and I can see myself scratching the paint. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Oh here is a photo of the oh so wonderful wrap. Got part of it off the hood, what a pain!
IMG000191.jpg

gabagoo

A steamer works well but it too leaves a lot adhesive behind. Last resort a vinyl zapper, slow but it works

Pat Whatley

Wallpaper steamer if you want to do it yourself.

Or find somebody with a hot water/steam pressure washer and get them to blast it off.

Either way it's gonna suck...but you shouldn't care because you're billing them by the hour, right? Make sure to let them know that the little money they saved by buying the cheapest wrap five years ago won't come close to covering what it's going to cost them to remove it....especially if you consider how long they had to drive around with that cracked up, horrible looking mess on there.

p3

yea its definitely by the hour. lol I was just trying to save them a little bit of money if possible to speed it up. Just cause its taken quite some time to get to where I'm at. Just a super pain!

Thanks for the input. and yea, you should have seen the wrap before hand. hah, I'll be removing one more wrap which was the same thing so i'll post a picture of it. Its super tough to because whoever wrapped it didn't laminate panels, then had to wrap it again, so its thick, hard to pull and keeps pulling off in separate sheets.

mark in tx

Heat gun, pull a piece at a time, and then give it all a bath with rapid remover, then pressure wash.

Either that or nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

graphixtogo

There's a product called vinyl-off that I've had good luck with. It works through the vinyl to loosen the adhesive and it seems to soften brittle, cooked-on vinyl.

kev3232

looks like avery.
use a weed burner. get vinyl very hot. wear rubber gloves and soak a rag with xylene and wipe slowly over the graphic. let xylene soak into film. repeat with more heat and xylene. heat vinyl again and try to remove.
we use that method for really stubborn removals. works 90 percent of the time.

good luck.
k