• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ading a cut path to image in illustrator??

hockeymania

hi

anyone knows a simple way to ad a cutpath around a non squarre image in illustrator....

thanks for helping

have a nice day guys

Eric

iSign

yep

also, if you don't have it & aren't ready to step up to CS2,
Adobe made a program called Streamline that will also vectorize image files.
Some rastor image editing prior to streamlining is sometimes helpful, but that's true with live trace as well.

Streamline was only around $150 & may be available used, although I think it may be discontinued.

eforer

If you have a decent piece of complex vector artwork and need to extract an outer contour either get a mimaki and get finecut (sorry I had to!), or take your artwork (again vector stuff only), group it (expand everything too) and place it over a filled box. Select both the box and the grouped artwork and use the divide filter. Now select the box with the point select tool (white arrow, not black) switch to the object select tool (black arrow) but don't click on anything, now cut and then paste in front. This will cut the box away from the object and when you paste it down, it will have a vector path removed delineating the border of your artwork. Select the new box and go to release compound path. Offset the path with the offset path option if you need a border, likewise, if you want a bleed, duplicate the path behind the objects and offset it with the color you want for the bleed leaving the non-offset path as your cut line.

TheSnowman

Finecut is the way to go if you have something complex to cut out, and you can have a bit of white around it. For doing cutout's of people or animals, or basically anything I guess, it makes it a snap.

eforer

Who actually is responsible for finecut? I got it with my Mimaki stuff, but is it a rebranded 3rd party thing? Either way, its awesome. BTW, the update to 7 is availible directly on the japanese site, Mimaki USA's download section doesn't have it yet.