• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adjusting printer passes

yamaha581

We have a Latex 335 and I am trying to get a little better red and orange for our motocross graphics. On our L26500 we could adjust the passes in Flexi but on this one it seems that it only lets us stick to the 10 pass and I can't seem to find a way to adjust it in Flexi or on the printer. Is there a way we are able to adjust the profile to more passes?

With current HP Latex printers, the Ink Density is defined in the print mode. The Ink Density is represented as a percentage (90-percent, or 110-percent). You can go to the HP Media Locator and identify frontlit and backlit self-adhesive medias with higher ink density values. I find that the gamut maximizes somewhere between 130 and 185 percent ink densities.You will probably want to be at 12 or 16-pass for these higher ink densities.

The other option is to create a new media preset with a higher pass count and ink density. With the 335, there is no on-board spectrophotometer, but there is a densitometer/ line sensor that can be used for Color Calibrations.

yamaha581

With current HP Latex printers, the Ink Density is defined in the print mode. The Ink Density is represented as a percentage (90-percent, or 110-percent). You can go to the HP Media Locator and identify frontlit and backlit self-adhesive medias with higher ink density values. I find that the gamut maximizes somewhere between 130 and 185 percent ink densities.You will probably want to be at 12 or 16-pass for these higher ink densities.

The other option is to create a new media preset with a higher pass count and ink density. With the 335, there is no on-board spectrophotometer, but there is a densitometer/ line sensor that can be used for Color Calibrations.
I was just going through the settings and we are currently at 120 for the ink density and it will not let me go higher than that. Am I missing something to adjust that? I did find all the info in Flexi to adjust the profile to a higher pass but it still won't let me go above the 120.
Thank you

greysquirrel

the density is related to the media you are printing on...photobase paper and adhesive vinyls are similar, banner has more options for speed, hence, less then 100 density, try upping to a 18+ pass ode...might get you higher, or you can clone a backlit film and make it adhesive vinyl. crank your heat, max out your pass mode and hope its not over saturated.

I'm not familiar with latex and this is just a workaround but every printer I used could do 2-8 overpass (multiple layers of ink), this is used on lightbox material when you need a thicker layer of ink but it can be used to achive 200-800% coverage on any material. It comes with print speed punishment of course.

About ink density - make sure your total ink density is not limited

karst41

Oh How I feel the pain of this topic.

The last decent color output was the L26500 running under Flexi 10. I got great color with strong density.

The Bicht slap to all of us was Flexi 12 and the 300 series printers aka "The Optomizer"
I keep swatch books and make notes on the settings and guess what I discovered.

In Flexi 12 AKA HP300Latex series SO Diffusion has been stripped out due to HP. Upping the density to 120?
What a joke.
The HP Latex 560. runs 2 print heads for the optomizer, and no matter if you set the density to 120, if your color requires 95 - 100% yellow you Aint not going to hit it. You just going to get
a very mucked up color.

So its either the Opto that is washing out the yellow or the yellow
is made by a bunck of Canadian on a weekend kegger.

Oh wait, did I tell you that I spent $70 for a trial of Wasatch?
Total waste of money. These printers will not run SO Diffusion.

SWOP 2 does smooth things out nicely and you do get some decent pantone matches, is the only bright spots.

The Media handling on the 560 is a TOTAL FAILURE by HP
You will lose minimum 2' of media at the start up of each and every job. How much does IJ180 cv3 cost ?

greysquirrel

Have you tried Onyx? No charge for a 30 day demo...Wasatch is a bear to run and I cannot stand Flexi...different strokes. Who charges for a demo anyway?

Not sure how you lose 2' of material to start up? Please explain. I know you will lose an inch or so to make sure its fed into the dryer...if your media is jamming in the dryer when you print starts...your heaters are set too high.

Onyx and Caldera are the rips you want to use if color is important to your business.