• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advantage to a separate blade for laminated stickers?

34Ford

Is there any advantage to having a separate blade set up for the times you have to cut thru the laminate and vinyl?

petesign

Not really sure what you mean, we have different settings, and by increasing the pressure, we can cut calendared vinyl, cast vinyl (thinner), and laminated printed vinyl all with the same blade.

slipperyfrog

The only time you should need a different blade would be for cutting different materials like window tint or reflective. Materials that either wear the blade quickly or need a different angle blade to cut effectively.

GB2

Old Member
Dennis, I have seperate blades for both of my plotters. One plotter has a 45 degree blade for regular vinyl and another 60 degree blade for thicker materials. Another plotter has 3 seperate blades, #1 for regular vinyl, #2 for laminated vinyl or thicker materials and #3 for cutting completely through materials. All the blades are the same type and the only difference is how far each tip is extended. I like having seperate blades so that you aren't constantly adjusting the tip extension and you are minimizing the wear on the blades across the spectrum of materials. It is something I'm just used to and prefer to work this way. I also adjust the pressure, speed, etc. in the settings when changing materials along with switching blade holders. This way you always have a spare on hand also in case one fails. I've made a chart that specifies the blade # and the setting for different materials so it is a very simple matter to get it right without any thought or delay when constantly switching materials.

34Ford

GB2.
Yea, thats what I do on my Graphtec when I cut reflective or chrome.
I think I am going to buy another blade holder for the 540 since they are so cheap. Dont hurt to have a spare.

Wouldn't mind finding another set of flange rollers too.

chartle

I use a 45 degree for regular cut vinyl and a 60 degree super blade as I call it for anything laminated or the 680CR reflective we use.