• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice--Laser Engraving

JT

I have a client that needs several hundred laser engraved metal tags. They are a huge industrial contractor and I have this account sewed up. I do not have a laser engraver, but would consider purchasing one, as I know they will keep it busy. Problem is, my shop is too small to buy a $10k laser engraver. Does anyone know of any small laser engravers out there? These tags are only 1" X 3". I do know they will keep me busy and I can't outsource this job.

:thankyou:

CES020

Just because the tags are 1" x 3" doesn't mean you need a small machine. You need to understand exactly how it works. The head moves down about .005" of an inch each stroke. So it's moving say, 1/2" down. You can do one in about 20 seconds or you can do 8 of them in a row in about 30 seconds. You really gain a lot buy doing them in a batch rather than 1 at a time. That's where you make your money. You quote as a one off and run as a batch.

Epilog has a small machine called a "Zing" and Universal has a small machine called the "Versalaser". Both will fit on a desktop and you're in the $10,000 range for either. The Versalaser has been out for years and is proven, the Zing just came out last year and it's been fairly quiet on reviews from real owners.

There are a lot of people in Ohio with lasers. You could easily sub out some time, even if that meant you going there and running them if needed.

One more thing, the CO2 lasers will not mark metal without using a marking compound that has to be brushed on or sprayed on, so before you bid the job, make sure you know how to produce the mark you need. A YAG laser will mark metal, but you won't touch one of those for $10,000. Is it brass, stainless? Why type of mark does it need to be?

Air Art Girl

I'd run as many as I can on the laser bed at one time like mentioned above. Are they anodized aluminum or what? How busy are they going to keep you to justify the cost of a laser? Lots of members here to outsource to.

V-ENGRAVE

There are number of metal tags one can laser. What metal are you talking about?
Stainless steel, bare brass, copper etc. do require coating in order to achieve desired mark with Co2 lasers. With Yag or Fiber lasers marking can be done without coating.

On another forum there is a talk about "COLD GALVANIZING COMPOUND" being used as a alternative to costly Cermar. Some guys posted sample jobs with good results.

Coated metal sheets can be engraved With Co2 laser by removing coating. One can purchase these sheets in various colors.

Alumamark and LaserBlack aluminum are specially formulated to mark without any coating.

In addition to ZING & VERSA lasers CES020 mentioned, take look at Trotec's "RAYJET" laser. I think they are in 7k range. Check then out on - www dot rayjet dot com- if on the market for laser. Xenetech also has a small desk top laser that can be converted to drag engraver for metal plates.