Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADVICE ON AN Old Roland 24

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by decalman, Feb 8, 2019.

1. decalman

decalman Active Member

Sep 2, 2012
    phoenix
    I got a an old 300 camm roland 24.
    Bought it new in 2004. I don't know whether to sell this or keep it as a backup. I don't have any XP laptops anymore can you work this thing with a Windows 7 ?
    I'm good with computers but I'm not an expert. I've heard about partitioning and stuff like that , but I don't know if it really works.

Too bad Roland's stop making drivers for this. I'm so upset about that I decided to go with Summa for my new purchase.
    I'm very happy with it.

If I do decide to sell it what's it worth.... three hundred bucks ?
    worked pretty good last time I used it.

Thanks for your kickback

Tags:
  2. Oroscoe

Oroscoe Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I am running a Roland CX300 with windows 7 and have no issues. We have been running windows 7 on this machine for several years.

3. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Usually things are pretty good about working from XP to Win 7, newer then 7 it's a crap shoot.

If it doesn't work in Win 7, could always try to VM XP (if you get Win 7 Pro or Enterprise, MS used to have an offer for XPM (XP Mode), which is a VM of XP for free, don't know if it's still valid or not with Win 7 creeping up on being EOL next year). Or you could get current computer and run a VM of XP from that.

Bad thing about VMing is that the resources of the computer need to be more then they normally would since it would be in essence running 2 computers at the same time sharing resources. If you spec out a good rig, it's damn near parity as if that VM OS was installed on bare metal.

I personally don't partition drives to run dual boot. I'm just not a fan of dual booting, but I digress.

• Like Like x 1
  4. decalman

decalman Active Member

Sep 2, 2012
    phoenix
    Thanks for sharing about that VM thing.
    I just googled it. I got 2 laps for work. .

Main lap is an i7 with 8 gigs of memory .
    It's kinda bogged down with video editing software. My backup is An i5 8 gig memory . both are win.7 pro.
    I'll get the VM , if it's not too $$$.

5. decalman

decalman Active Member

Sep 2, 2012
    phoenix
    Are you telling me that you simply downloaded the driver, and it works
    I've never heard that before.

6. Bert Wondervan

Bert Wondervan Member

Nov 8, 2018
    Germany
    You can run your old Roland CM 300 in any Windows you want.
    pm me for details.

• Like Like x 1
  7. netsol

netsol Member

Apr 26, 2016
    spotswood, nj
    i would just spend $35 on a pciexpress serial card & a 9 pin dsub cable

its a plotter. you are just sending xy code

if you need to use usb, load windows 7, configure the usb, then do a window 10 free upgrade from the windows 10 media creation tool