• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ADVICE ON AN Old Roland 24

decalman

I got a an old 300 camm roland 24.
Bought it new in 2004. I don't know whether to sell this or keep it as a backup. I don't have any XP laptops anymore can you work this thing with a Windows 7 ?
I'm good with computers but I'm not an expert. I've heard about partitioning and stuff like that , but I don't know if it really works.

Too bad Roland's stop making drivers for this. I'm so upset about that I decided to go with Summa for my new purchase.
I'm very happy with it.

If I do decide to sell it what's it worth.... three hundred bucks ?
worked pretty good last time I used it.

Thanks for your kickback

Oroscoe

I am running a Roland CX300 with windows 7 and have no issues. We have been running windows 7 on this machine for several years.

WildWestDesigns

Usually things are pretty good about working from XP to Win 7, newer then 7 it's a crap shoot.

If it doesn't work in Win 7, could always try to VM XP (if you get Win 7 Pro or Enterprise, MS used to have an offer for XPM (XP Mode), which is a VM of XP for free, don't know if it's still valid or not with Win 7 creeping up on being EOL next year). Or you could get current computer and run a VM of XP from that.

Bad thing about VMing is that the resources of the computer need to be more then they normally would since it would be in essence running 2 computers at the same time sharing resources. If you spec out a good rig, it's damn near parity as if that VM OS was installed on bare metal.

I personally don't partition drives to run dual boot. I'm just not a fan of dual booting, but I digress.

decalman

Usually things are pretty good about working from XP to Win 7, newer then 7 it's a crap shoot.

If it doesn't work in Win 7, could always try to VM XP (if you get Win 7 Pro or Enterprise, MS used to have an offer for XPM (XP Mode), which is a VM of XP for free, don't know if it's still valid or not with Win 7 creeping up on being EOL next year). Or you could get current computer and run a VM of XP from that.

Bad thing about VMing is that the resources of the computer need to be more then they normally would since it would be in essence running 2 computers at the same time sharing resources. If you spec out a good rig, it's damn near parity as if that VM OS was installed on bare metal.

I personally don't partition drives to run dual boot. I'm just not a fan of dual booting, but I digress.

Thanks for sharing about that VM thing.
I just googled it. I got 2 laps for work. .

Main lap is an i7 with 8 gigs of memory .
It's kinda bogged down with video editing software. My backup is An i5 8 gig memory . both are win.7 pro.
I'll get the VM , if it's not too $$$.

decalman

I am running a Roland CX300 with windows 7 and have no issues. We have been running windows 7 on this machine for several years.
Are you telling me that you simply downloaded the driver, and it works
I've never heard that before.

Bert Wondervan

I got a an old 300 camm roland 24.
Bought it new in 2004. I don't know whether to sell this or keep it as a backup. I don't have any XP laptops anymore can you work this thing with a Windows 7 ?
I'm good with computers but I'm not an expert. I've heard about partitioning and stuff like that , but I don't know if it really works.

Too bad Roland's stop making drivers for this. I'm so upset about that I decided to go with Summa for my new purchase.
I'm very happy with it.

If I do decide to sell it what's it worth.... three hundred bucks ?
worked pretty good last time I used it.

Thanks for your kickback
You can run your old Roland CM 300 in any Windows you want.
pm me for details.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i would just spend $35 on a pciexpress serial card & a 9 pin dsub cable

its a plotter. you are just sending xy code

if you need to use usb, load windows 7, configure the usb, then do a window 10 free upgrade from the windows 10 media creation tool