• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on importing equipment from Canada from experience?

SignPros

I'm looking at buying some equipment to bring back into the States. I know there are forms and declarations and Customs and such. But has anyone actually done this themselves and can offer some advice/hints/suggestions? Is it a doable thing for the average, semi-intelligent (I like to think, anyway LOL) business owner? Or am I just better off to pay a customs broker to handle it and pick it up on this side of the border?

CanuckSigns

is it new equipment or used? if new the seller should at least offer to take care of it for you, if it's used, I would contact a customs broker, they usually charge a couple hundred bucks, but they deal with all the headaches, last time we brought something up from the States on our own it was a never ending sea of phone calls and emails to get it across the border.

SignPros

It's used equipment. And it's coming from Canada into the States. I would assume Customs can be an equal hassle going either way, tho.