• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on media for unlaminated decals for a new latex owner

Eggleston

I just got my latex 335 and will be doing a lot of 3”-8” decals. Our printer came with Briteline 3203x which seems okay, maybe a little thin.

I ordered some Briteline im3222 6mil and holy hell is it thick. I like how rigid it is but contour cutting seems pretty impossible. Maybe I’m doing something wrong or need to do more passes.

I have some 3m ij35c on the way and I will see how it goes. There’s so many different medias.

I really just need everyone’s advice on a decent media that will not be laminated (as of right now) to be used for all purpose decals (vehicles, laptops, cups, etc).

Also if anyone had advice on how to handle the 6mil it would be appreciated. For now we may just have to kiss cut it.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Welcome aboard. IJ35 is nice for a gray backed vinyl. Take a look at Avery 2921EZ as well. Check your pressure on the plotter....thats really all you need to do. Otherwise a slight cutting depth increase in the blade.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
What kind of blade? if your cutting something really thick, you might want to try using a 60° blade

letterman7

6mil is pretty thick for just run of the mill decals. I'd step it back to just a "regular" calendared 2.5 mil or similar.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I wouldn’t put anything unlaminated on a vehicle. At all. If you plan on staying in this game you don’t want people coming to you in 1-2 years time complaining about their decals fading. You want to start with quality and maintain it.

As far as vinyl goes, I just wouldn’t let some of the price tags scare you. But again, don’t go too cheap. Especially on vehicles. Everyone here will recommend cast vinyl only for vehicles and those rolls have a hefty price tag.

Eggleston

I plan on laminating in the future, but for the time being I haven’t purchased it yet. Any advice on a decent entry level laminator?

Eggleston

What's the issue with cutting it? Lower the speed of cutter and add more weight?
Seems like I’m having to stick the blade out too far. I was just being cautious and didn’t want to destroy the cutting strip. I’ll probably order a 60 degree blade and give it another shot.

I’m very familiar with plotters but never had to cut through something that thick, didn’t want to tear up my new plotter.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
6mil isn't anything new...we've done that quite often. On our graphtec, we run at least 30 on our plotter for that media. Its likely you won't break anything.

Eggleston

6mil isn't anything new...we've done that quite often. On our graphtec, we run at least 30 on our plotter for that media. Its likely you won't break anything.
Every time you switch to 6 mil do you have to adjust your blade depth and hammer down on the pressure?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We adjust the blade a tick and add pressure. The issue with putting the blade down more, is when the material travels back and forth....it can scratch the print or cut as the carriage works back and forth.

We adjust the blade a tick and add pressure. The issue with putting the blade down more, is when the material travels back and forth....it can scratch the print or cut as the carriage works back and forth.
Take a small scrap of coro or another board, maybe 1"x4", and wrap adhesive loop velcro around one end of it. VHB that little piece to an open spot on the blade carriage just at the point where it barely rests on the vinyl. Now everywhere the blade goes, this little piece of soft velcro will be gently pushing the vinyl downward and your blade wont scratch it anymore during travel.

Inks

I just got my latex 335 and will be doing a lot of 3”-8” decals. Our printer came with Briteline 3203x which seems okay, maybe a little thin.

I ordered some Briteline im3222 6mil and holy hell is it thick. I like how rigid it is but contour cutting seems pretty impossible. Maybe I’m doing something wrong or need to do more passes.

I have some 3m ij35c on the way and I will see how it goes. There’s so many different medias.

I really just need everyone’s advice on a decent media that will not be laminated (as of right now) to be used for all purpose decals (vehicles, laptops, cups, etc).

Also if anyone had advice on how to handle the 6mil it would be appreciated. For now we may just have to kiss cut it.
There are plenty of 3 - 4 mil vinyls with 83 - 90lb liners that will do the job and not feel flimsy

Inks

In my 30 years on the supply side rarely have I seen anyone using 6 mil for decals, wall graphics yes.
Have never seen anyone use 6 mil for vehicle graphics. 2 mil cast for rivets and contours and 3 mil polymeric calendared for flat surfaces.

CanuckSigns

In my 30 years on the supply side rarely have I seen anyone using 6 mil for decals, wall graphics yes.
Have never seen anyone use 6 mil for vehicle graphics. 2 mil cast for rivets and contours and 3 mil polymeric calendared for flat surfaces.

6 mil is perfect for cheap decals that aren't expected to last too long, no need to laminate

Inks

This is what he said: for all purpose decals (vehicles, laptops, cups, etc).
How many people pay for vehicle graphics for short term? Maybe some but not many.
For a cheap decal why bother with 6 mil use a 3 mil Chinese monomeric vinyl then lol If you like shrinkage

CanuckSigns

This is what he said: for all purpose decals (vehicles, laptops, cups, etc).
How many people pay for vehicle graphics for short term? Maybe some but not many.
For a cheap decal why bother with 6 mil use a 3 mil Chinese monomeric vinyl then lol If you like shrinkage
Obviously not for vehicles, however its great for standard decals. The thickness of the 6 mil means the decal doesn't turn into a wet noodle when its not laminated. Its great for things like promotional decals, product labels, short term bumper stickers etc. My clients love it because its super easy to apply and cost effective, and the general formulations stuff doesn't seem to shrink much at all

Inks

Obviously not for vehicles, however its great for standard decals. The thickness of the 6 mil means the decal doesn't turn into a wet noodle when its not laminated. Its great for things like promotional decals, product labels, short term bumper stickers etc. My clients love it because its super easy to apply and cost effective, and the general formulations stuff doesn't seem to shrink much at all

6 mil is mainly used for wall graphics for the reasons you mention it is easier to handle. The OP however is talking about 3" to 8" decals, should be easy to apply. The best product for this is 3mil, however if you have customers that do not mind you can use whatever you prefer. My job as a supplier to the printer, is to recommend a product that meets the criteria of the job at a reasonable cost. 3 mil polymeric vinyl covers more bases than 6 mil. It would be more costly to stock two vinyls when one covers most of the bases.

If your customers are happy then you are right. I wish you great success! There are many ways to skin the cat as they say.

Keep Well!
Rick