• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

.ai and pdf

craigco

Does anyone know if you can open up a .pdf file in Adobe Ill. and have it convert to a vector file?

Thanks,
Craig

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Most pdf's can be opened in Illustrator, but they have to be vector in the pdf to also open as a vector in Illustrator. There is no magic conversion that makes a raster image within a pdf turn into a vector.

petepaz

like the doc says
it has to be vector from the begining
a jpg won't change to vector in illustr if you save it as a pdf and then open in illustr

TheSnowman

Yup, has to be Vector originally. An easy way to tell is if you zoom in on it all the way in Acrobat, you shouldn't see any fuzzy lines, should all be crisp. If you zoom in, and you lose the quality, your gonna prob. have to trace it to get it to work.

craigco

Thanks, for the info.

It is a vector file in pdf. I don't know much about adobe ill., and i couldn't get it to do anything. I imported the pdf directly into corel draw and it worked great. I didn't know you could do that.