• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

air egress vinyl...wet install?

Vohaul

So i got a 20' cargo trailer with some large sized printed decals to do....i print all my printed stuff for cars etc on air egress vinyl (with lamination, of course).....My installer guy typically does a wet install as hes more comfortable with it when doing large windows or backlit signage..

Is there any harm in doing a wet install with air egress?...any issues?

Thanks
Paul

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If your installer can't install material with air egress dry on a box truck - its time to find a new installer.

Vohaul

If your installer can't install material with air egress dry on a box truck - its time to find a new installer.
ya, i didnt say he couldnt, just that he hasnt done a lot of work with it.....but i googled it like i probably should of in the first place and found out why its a bad idea to use wet installs with air egress

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
ya, i didnt say he couldnt, just that he hasnt done a lot of work with it.....but i googled it like i probably should of in the first place and found out why its a bad idea to use wet installs with air egress
Fair enough. The sides of box trucks are the easy money jobs in vehicle graphics. Your guy will just need to take his time and there should be no real issues. If there are a ton of rivets take a look at the 3M Rollerpro. It will make them much easier to deal with.

wayne k
guam usa

AKwrapguy

So i got a 20' cargo trailer with some large sized printed decals to do....i print all my printed stuff for cars etc on air egress vinyl (with lamination, of course).....My installer guy typically does a wet install as hes more comfortable with it when doing large windows or backlit signage..

Thanks
Paul

No in fact they particularly say not to wet apply material air-release channels.

ikarasu

"Do not perform a wet application when using an air-egress vinyl. These repositionable vinyl films have micro tunnels embossed in their adhesives. These tunnels will trap application fluid that will most likely result in adhesion failure. Air-egress vinyls are easy to reposition. There is no reason to use an application fluid when installing these films. "

Here you go. I'd never wet install an air release... there isn't a need to. It'll also be much quicker if he doesn't. Tell him to get used to doing it without... let him practice on something if he's not comfortable.

SIGNTIME

I agree that you need a new installer... The only thing that should be wet applied is large etched glass jobs.

I know I'm not alone on this, any water behind wrap film will not allow the adhesive to stick at all. I have had water weep out from under a window seal (rushing prep process) a few times and had to peel back the vinyl wipe dry and hit with a heat gun, not until it was completely dry it would kinda stick, you end up wiping a little primer down and hope for the best.

burgmurk

OP might just be confused, for large windows and backlit signs, yes wet apply makes sense. Surely you wouldn't call yourself an 'installer' if you can't do a truck dry, air egress or not....

Santimus

I've tried and it does not end well. Whatever you use to wet mount it gets trapped in little pockets and winds up looking like a bad dry installation of regular adhesive vinyl. Its a waste of money and time.

Sandman

How on earth is the application fluid NOT going to squeegee out of the air channels? The air gets out! So will the application fluid if you do it right. I agree under most circumstances that dry is the way to go but I have done it without a problem when I wanted to speed up the adhesion process when it was on a vehicle going out into cold weather soon after application. Rapid Tac is the only application fluid I would ever do this with. The makers of Rapid Tac have done it many times. Just takes a little patience with firm squeegeeing. Rapid Tac speeds of the adhesion process. Most HP vinyl need 24 hours for full adhesion. I learned this the hard way when I did a wet application with regular HP vinyl. Upon seeing a mistake I had to take the vinyl off a half hour after install. You'd think it was on their for a month because it was a real bugger to remove. I've never had dry application vinyl stick like that after a half hour.

v0y4ger

Thanks
Paul

Nooooooo, no, no, no never, ever, ever, never ever.

It’ll peel straight off and makes a general tatty job. Don’t even used app fluid.

Also, don’t use that stuff for large applications. Personally I use it for vehicle Graphics and that’s it.

Sandman

I disagree and the manufacturer of Rapid Tac tested it and if you do it right it will stay just fine. Explain to me how air can travel out through the channels but application fluid won't. Channels are channels. If you do it right it will work. The only reason to use it with air egress is for faster adhesion, which I needed.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i have never had an issue with my vinyl not adhering fast enough. once its down its down.
i can install a lot faster if i dont have to worry about fluid.
now you wanted an explanation about the difference between water and air.
this is rather simple. a water is much larger than air is. and water bonds to its self making for larger mass.
when dealing with water or any fluid you have to deal with viscosity and surface tension. this are not factors with air.
if you want me to go into greater detail on the other differences i would be happy to.
but simply water and air are not the same and they do not behave the same.
air egress channels are designed to move air, not fluid.

Sandman

I will not bother to debate this with you. I know I have the skill and knowledge to apply wet if I want to. I know the manufacturer has tested it and if done right there is no problem. I also know that vinyl glue takes 24 hours to completely cure to full strength and in below 50 degrees this curing stops. If this was a sign I would have no problem doing it dry and putting it outside a few hours later. But we were in the middle of winter when I applied these, the customer wanted his 2 trucks back in service immediately and I knew they would be pressure washing them while still winter. I have spoken to the customer and their graphics are doing just fine.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i am glad it works for you.
i have never had any come off that was freshly stuck.
i have had it come off from being damp.
i have had it come off after water gets in behind it.
getting the water out takes more time and effort than just sticking it and moving on.
but hey if it works for you great.