• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternatives to backlit panel?

One of our local towns just purchased a building formerly owned by a bank that has an 8' x 8' double sided backlit sign on a post. Currently, each side of the box has two flat polycarbonate panels with a seam that I'm guessing either has interlocking letter rails or a strip of polycarbonate welding them into one solid piece. I can't say for sure, as I've yet to get up on a lift to take a closer look.

The city has no need to advertise their location 24/7 and asked if there would be a more economical option than replacing with new polycarbonate panels because they don't care if the sign is backlit or not. Is there any other option that would work as a suitable replacement? Could we use something like .125" aluminum or .250 ACM (assuming it might fit) and join the seams with an aluminum strip and solid strips of VHB all along the seam? Also, would this type of thing require an engineer to approve the materials and method of construction to create one solid panel?

My only concern is that even if aluminum could be used, will it be as durable long-term? I'm thinking polycarbonate would have superior long-term durability, aside from yellowing, as it would last longer than the paint on a white aluminum panel, and a heck of a lot longer than the paint on any ACM panel.

People trying to be cheap aggravate me to no end.

Thoughts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Legally, no. Not without looking up the original plans of how the base pad and foundation were made and installed. The sign was made for the weight and distribution of what was in there, not some new fangled scheme of cheapness.

You'll need to find out if there are bumpers in the existing cabinet ??

Without creating a whole new framework to support a metal solid sail, I highly doubt anything other than what was originally designed will work, unless the municipality will turn their head(s) and look the other way.

Billct2

I've done this a few times using acm with no issues. None were that large but if you bond the seam properly it should be fine. I don't see a difference in wind load between a poylcarb face vs an acm face.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree, and with smaller sizes, but it seems in these lousy times with municipalities, you cannot veer off from what was meant to be. If you put a project together and present it to a committee to obtain a permit one way, then change most everything about it after it's been Okayed, other than the size, most places will wanna re-figure all the schematics to be sure no one is gonna be blamed should something go wrong. If you change the recipe at all, who's gonna be held responsible if something goes wrong, especially if one of those panels let go from their tape, falls and decapitates someone ?? Sure, it could happen with the poly, but that was accounted for. You'll need everyone's stamp of approval to go outside the box, especially if later it's found out to make it cheaper. That just won't look right on the report.

I've done this a few times using acm with no issues. None were that large but if you bond the seam properly it should be fine. I don't see a difference in wind load between a poylcarb face vs an acm face.

My main objection is that you get what you pay for. I can see polycarbonate lasting 20 years or better, but ACM not so much. This is also about a 20-foot tall sign at its peak and is in a high wind area.

Billct2

You can always add a couple supports and screw the thing to the frame and supports and make it a solid structure.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Take it down and put up a shorter smaller sign. Maybe a ground level sign. That's what cities all want everyone to do anyway, isn't it?

Hahaaa..... especially when peaceful riots pass through. It makes them easier to wreck low like that...... :eek:

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
One of our local towns just purchased a building formerly owned by a bank that has an 8' x 8' double sided backlit sign on a post. Currently, each side of the box has two flat polycarbonate panels with a seam that I'm guessing either has interlocking letter rails or a strip of polycarbonate welding them into one solid piece. I can't say for sure, as I've yet to get up on a lift to take a closer look.

The city has no need to advertise their location 24/7 and asked if there would be a more economical option than replacing with new polycarbonate panels because they don't care if the sign is backlit or not. Is there any other option that would work as a suitable replacement? Could we use something like .125" aluminum or .250 ACM (assuming it might fit) and join the seams with an aluminum strip and solid strips of VHB all along the seam? Also, would this type of thing require an engineer to approve the materials and method of construction to create one solid panel?

My only concern is that even if aluminum could be used, will it be as durable long-term? I'm thinking polycarbonate would have superior long-term durability, aside from yellowing, as it would last longer than the paint on a white aluminum panel, and a heck of a lot longer than the paint on any ACM panel.

People trying to be cheap aggravate me to no end.

Thoughts?
You could do 1/8" aluminum with an epoxied support bar across the back, but I don't think you are saving much over polycarbonate. I would propose polycarb with non-backlit digital print vinyl graphics on it. Then the sign won't yellow, since it is all covered with a vinyl print, and you save a few bucks over a backlit print. As unclebun suggested, cutting it down and doing a nice ground level sign would probably look best.....but won't save money.

You could do 1/8" aluminum with an epoxied support bar across the back, but I don't think you are saving much over polycarbonate. I would propose polycarb with non-backlit digital print vinyl graphics on it. Then the sign won't yellow, since it is all covered with a vinyl print, and you save a few bucks over a backlit print. As unclebun suggested, cutting it down and doing a nice ground level sign would probably look best.....but won't save money.

I agree on the ground level sign being a much more suitable image for what is going to serve as their new City Hall and administrative offices. But since they have a budget, I think keeping the already existing sign there instantly seemed like an attractive option for them. It would seem as though they prefer low cost over aesthetics. And you're right. I don't think aluminum over poly is going to provide much of a savings either, but I wasn't sure if 1/4" ACM was a doable option or if there were other options that I may not have considered. I'm also considering longevity since if you end up having to replace an aluminum sign sooner than what you might a polycarbonate sign, it ends up being not so economical in the long run. I'm sure they'll probably end up going with polycarbonate since I think at this point it's the only option I'm going to offer. I think it's just too large of a sign to risk considering much else. Maybe a flex face retrofit would be a nice option but that would be a job for someone else.

Johnny Best

Why did you consider my post Hilarious? You wanted cheap. While your trying to figure out tearing down the old sign, rebuilding a new one for $20,000. Or retrofitting for flex faces which cost you money. Renting a lift for new 8' poly panels. You submit your bid to repaint and letter. You need to listen to what the customer wanted, "cheap".