• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alumacorr vs. Poly-metal

What would be the preferred application for each? The reason I ask is because Poly-metal is cheaper and seems much more rigid that Alumacorr. So why even use Alumacorr? Wouldn't Poly-metal be the best choice for any job where the substrate is firmly secured to a framework, wall, or other flat structure? Any opinions would be great.

stickerman12

What would be the preferred application for each? The reason I ask is because Poly-metal is cheaper and seems much more rigid that Alumacorr. So why even use Alumacorr? Wouldn't Poly-metal be the best choice for any job where the substrate is firmly secured to a framework, wall, or other flat structure? Any opinions would be great.
I use polymetal for most applications. The only reason for me to use alumacorr is its lighter weight.

Pro Image

Ploy-Metal is all that I use in the shop now.....I up sell everyone to using it.....Its a great product that wont de-laminate like Alumacor will.....

k.a.s.

Poly-Metal is pretty good stuff, I have had issues with factory colored pieces fading A LOT in a pretty short period of time. I have never really used much alumacorr b/c the core will crush when you tighten it down with a bolt, the only time I see using it is if you need something thicker than poly-metal, max-metal, etc.

I use Grimco's max metal for tons of stuff, its the cheapest one and has worked great for years.

Kevin

FatCat

Poly-Metal is pretty good stuff, I have had issues with factory colored pieces fading A LOT in a pretty short period of time. I have never really used much alumacorr b/c the core will crush when you tighten it down with a bolt, the only time I see using it is if you need something thicker than poly-metal, max-metal, etc.

I use Grimco's max metal for tons of stuff, its the cheapest one and has worked great for years.

Kevin

Ditto on all of this. The 3mm Grimco Max-Metal is a staple in my shop. It's been my "go-to" material for almost everything that needs to be more durable than coroplast. When it's on sale it's cheaper than MDO, 6mm PVC and also 10mm corplast!!! Also, the 6mm Max-Metal is very durable where more core strength is needed to support itself.

k.a.s.

Poly-Metal, DiBond, Max-Metal, etc are aluminum composite materials. Thin alum on the front and back with a solid plastic core.

As Fatcat said, the 6mm Max Metal is also great for some extra thickness.

Kevin

Thanks for all the input guys! Much appreciated. I don't think I will ever resort to using the hollow corrugated sheets. The solid core seems like a much better all around material.

We will definitely be using the Nudo brand Poly-metal panels. Has anyone used these with adverse results? I hope fading isn't a huge issue. But we are using almond color for this next job so fading shouldn't be too noticeable I hope, if it were to occur.

Mosh

Alumacore is great when you need a product that will get dings in it when people stare at it too long.

EXACTLY! Max-Metal is all we use. I love the satin finish, especilly on the black. I spray it with Mathews paint for color, it holds paint very well. The best part is the edges look so much better than alumicore, especially on shape cut blanks.

Alumia-core will dent it you look at it wrong....