• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alumalite vs ACM

brycesteiner

Is 6mm ACM the same rigidity as 6mm Alumalite? I'm working on a sign quote and the ACM is less expensive. I know it's a little heavier in weight.

What would you use?

Billct2

Alumalite is more rigid, but you have to deal with the edges. For some signs it doesn't matter, but for nicer projects it may make a difference. Alumalite is also more prone to dings. We use more ACM but still use alumalite too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Who wants to lug a solid core 4 x 8 around ?? :omg: Not me.

I believe the corrugated is stronger, but more so, it's not the strength in these two products from the core, but the thickness of the aluminum sheeting being used for facing. That's usually why there's a price difference. Something like .013 vs. .007.

Billct2

Geez Gino...I'm sure you remember the days of 4x8 3/4 MDO. Now that was something to lug around :eek:. I worked at a shop where we would buy truckloads of it and the storage area was thru a regular size door, around a corner and then up on the racks...

Andy D

I personally detested working with Alumalite, sharp edges, hard to cut, edges don't look finished, dents easily plus I
printed directly to panels and Alumalite was bad about having bent edges & corners, that could ruin my print heads if not spotted.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Geez Gino...I'm sure you remember the days of 4x8 3/4 MDO. Now that was something to lug around :eek:. I worked at a shop where we would buy truckloads of it and the storage area was thru a regular size door, around a corner and then up on the racks...

As Dylan used to sing....

Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now.
Something like that........................... :confused:

brycesteiner

Thanks for the info! This was helpful. I am quoting it for ACM just to get my feel with it. I use quite a bit of 6mm Alumalite but it's so easy to get a dented edge or corner on the sheet. I don't think that ruins it, but I hate to start off with something I'm already not happy with.

IslandSignWorks

I've use alumalyte indoors with full panel graphics that bleed to the edges. The decal folds over and covers the open core edges. We do hanging store signage like this all the time. This only works for stuff that's going up out of harm's way and won't be jerked with later.

I've also made a sandwich of two 10mm alumalyte panels with two back-to-back 1/2" aluminum angles, bond the whole thing together with VHB. The aluminum angle finishes the edge and gives it a slimline edge finish.

boxerbay

it depends on where the sign is going and what structure you have behind it. if its a 2- 4x4 post yard job then go with alumalite for rigidity. if its going against a wall or you have a full frame then 3mm ACM is fine.