• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Always get a signature...

T_K

Today I had a customer email me to say that I didn't deliver a product, which I personally had delivered almost a week ago. So I went to my stack of delivery slips, found the correct date, verified the order number. Lo and behold! It was signed by the very individual telling me it wasn't delivered.

So I scanned the slip and emailed it back, explaining that I was not at fault and that if the item had been lost or damaged after I delivered it, I could produce another one. But they would need to verify that they did actually need me to do so.

They replied "[Name of their employee] damaged it, so we need a replacement."

Moral of the story: Always get that signature. You'll end up needing it.

T_K

Have to keep working with them. We have an ongoing printing contract with them, and they are our biggest customer. Plus, my boss has some sort of strong investment in their company. So I'm stuck working with them.

Good news, though, is that they're stuck with us too, because of the arrangement. So I can call them out on their b.s. and not worry about losing a customer. And my boss knows they have issues and will back me when it's apparent that they're being stupid. I just have to make sure that I dot my t's and cross my i's properly.

Not quite a win-win, but it's better than it could be otherwise.

2B

have had this happen several times, and each time we send proof of it being received they always come up with a different version to the story.

the one that really comes to is we made some RTA wall lettering, delivered and then upon delivery we Emailed the contact person with the delivery confirmation and also the instruction on how to apply the graphics.
8 months roll around and get an irritated call
  1. about how the products are not there, we said it was delivered XXXX Day and by XXXX person
  2. Now the excuse was we did not give teh installations upon delivery, so we forward the email show they got the instructions and acknowledged the instructions
  3. then the story changed to the material was not done correctly for RTA and they want a new and FREE replacement. to which they admitted they stored in the warehouse and it was VERY DIRTY.
Needless to say they didn't get free replacements and never ordered more lettering

DerbyCitySignGuy

have had this happen several times, and each time we send proof of it being received they always come up with a different version to the story.

the one that really comes to is we made some RTA wall lettering, delivered and then upon delivery we Emailed the contact person with the delivery confirmation and also the instruction on how to apply the graphics.
8 months roll around and get an irritated call
  1. about how the products are not there, we said it was delivered XXXX Day and by XXXX person
  2. Now the excuse was we did not give teh installations upon delivery, so we forward the email show they got the instructions and acknowledged the instructions
  3. then the story changed to the material was not done correctly for RTA and they want a new and FREE replacement. to which they admitted they stored in the warehouse and it was VERY DIRTY.
Needless to say they didn't get free replacements and never ordered more lettering

You know, I've run into similar things over the years. On multiple occasions, customers have fessed up and said, "Hey, I messed up big time. Is there anything you can do to help me out so we don't have to replace this?" I will almost always try to help them out. Something small? I'll just replace it. Something big? I'll try to give them a discount or help them repair whatever damage they've done.

The second a customer tries to sell me a BS story: full price replacement and you have to join the back of the line.

mbasch

We always have a "PITA" (pain in the ass) fee for customer who don't value us or have tried to scam us. I'll still take their money, but I'll charge them more for doing it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hahaa...... this just happened yesterday.

A regular client (since 1987) who has gotten literally 1,000s upon 1,000s of sign from us over the years, gave us 100% complete artwork on a sign 30" x 141". We received the artwork last Thursday. We confirmed getting it, and told them there was a discrepancy of the size requested and the artwork given us. Only 1/2" is in question and they told us what to do to fix it. Easy fix. We ran the job yesterday morning. Came out and looked fine. About 1/2 hour later, my contact called and asked if we could change it, as their customer changed the artwork yesterday..... 6 days after giving us the go-ahead. My client wants to know if I can do it over and not charge them. Yeah, right. He said, he doesn't wanna eat those added costs, that he wants to save the money. I said, I understand, but did you change the artwork ?? Did I change the artwork ?? Don't you think the person coming in at the last minute changing everything is responsible for the added costs ??

He wrote back last night, he understands, so what can we do ??

He has signed and dated documents, but he doesn't even wanna follow his own protocol. I don't need the signed artwork, cause he already has it, but wants me to jump through a hoop for him. We'll probably just charge normal price for the first time around, charge the substrate at cost and charge again for printing and hopefully that will make everyone happy involved in the matter.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Hahaa...... this just happened yesterday.

A regular client (since 1987) who has gotten literally 1,000s upon 1,000s of sign from us over the years, gave us 100% complete artwork on a sign 30" x 141". We received the artwork last Thursday. We confirmed getting it, and told them there was a discrepancy of the size requested and the artwork given us. Only 1/2" is in question and they told us what to do to fix it. Easy fix. We ran the job yesterday morning. Came out and looked fine. About 1/2 hour later, my contact called and asked if we could change it, as their customer changed the artwork yesterday..... 6 days after giving us the go-ahead. My client wants to know if I can do it over and not charge them. Yeah, right. He said, he doesn't wanna eat those added costs, that he wants to save the money. I said, I understand, but did you change the artwork ?? Did I change the artwork ?? Don't you think the person coming in at the last minute changing everything is responsible for the added costs ??

He wrote back last night, he understands, so what can we do ??

He has signed and dated documents, but he doesn't even wanna follow his own protocol. I don't need the signed artwork, cause he already has it, but wants me to jump through a hoop for him. We'll probably just charge normal price for the first time around, charge the substrate at cost and charge again for printing and hopefully that will make everyone happy involved in the matter.

I'd be inclined just to knock off the markup on the second banner and let him think you're cutting him a break (which, I guess would technically be a break, since he's getting it for cost).

ExecuPrintGS

You know, I've run into similar things over the years. On multiple occasions, customers have fessed up and said, "Hey, I messed up big time. Is there anything you can do to help me out so we don't have to replace this?" I will almost always try to help them out. Something small? I'll just replace it. Something big? I'll try to give them a discount or help them repair whatever damage they've done.

The second a customer tries to sell me a BS story: full price replacement and you have to join the back of the line.

I feel the same way. If someone calls me all in a huff accusing us of screwing something up, when we didn't or didn't deliver and is a complete ass about it i am less likely to cut them a break and get them out of a bind.
Now my customers who call and say "I totally screwed up and we (lost, broke, gave you the wrong size/ spelling, etc.)" i will do everything in my power to get them out of their bind.

People these days tend to go hostile and throw a fit right away because they think "the customers always right" and we will just bow to every whim and take the loss. I'm sorry but they aren't always right, usually it is them who screwed something up not us and we refuse to eat it.

T_K

So, follow up to this encounter.

I deliver the reprinted product today, placing it on the designated table per standard procedure with them. Walk to client's office, hand over delivery slip for signature, which is for exactly one item.
Client says "Do I need to verify this, or do I just take you at your word?"

[Thinking "WTF? Am I your babysitter?" :mad:] "That would be your choice. You're free to verify the delivery or just sign it." :cool:

"Oh, I didn't know what the normal procedure was."

C'mon! Every adult should know that you verify deliveries, check the number of packages and their condition before signing. And if you don't, it's your responsibility if something's not right. This woman is fairly new to the client company, but still...wow!

Also, she was too lazy to actually verify the delivery. "I don't feel like I need to." :rolleyes:

ams

I've had customers take signs and then return next day with it damaged, usually due to them abusing it. So had to put a sign on the door when they are leaving that states "Once your signs are picked up and leave our shop, AMS is not responsible for the care and safety of your signs. Ask us for proper care and handling advice."

mfatty500

T_K, you should have picked your sign back up and left with it, if she didn't even bother to verify that you left it there

Johnny Best

In all the years of doing business and delivering signs have never had anyone sign for them. I have had people ask me if they have to sign anything and I just say "no". Now I realize it was you guys looking for that signature. The only thing I want to see them sign is a check for the work.

T_K

In all the years of doing business and delivering signs have never had anyone sign for them. I have had people ask me if they have to sign anything and I just say "no". Now I realize it was you guys looking for that signature. The only thing I want to see them sign is a check for the work.

This client company is the reason that my company requires signatures for deliveries. They have a history of losing things (a large package of 5000 labels was the last straw). Now they have to sign for everything.

Also, there's a reason that companies like UPS and FedEx require delivery signatures. They don't want to have the liability of the recipient saying "We never got that!" And there are plenty of stories on this forum to back up the baseless claims some customers make about deliveries.

It's nice to think about working with honest customers where you both trust each other to be honest and do the right thing. But it's the few bad apples that ruin the bunch. Better to CYA.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a company that will not pay, if they don't have a signed slip with an authorized signature. It must be dated, signed, the PO# and a small description or they will not process the invoice, even though they have all that information, it sill must be done in addition to. More and more companies are doing it. The days of a handshake are gone..... at least when you start dealing with companies where there is so much red tape, they hafta cover their butts...... and mine, too.

I asked them, why all the extra secretarial work on our end ?? They just said, when you are working with companies around the world and millions and millions of dollars, believe me, a little $3,000 or $4,000 order can get lost REAL quick. No one will remember this kinda stuff. I said..... I will. :tongue:

Johnny Best

This client company is the reason that my company requires signatures for deliveries. They have a history of losing things (a large package of 5000 labels was the last straw). Now they have to sign for everything.

Also, there's a reason that companies like UPS and FedEx require delivery signatures. They don't want to have the liability of the recipient saying "We never got that!" And there are plenty of stories on this forum to back up the baseless claims some customers make about deliveries.

It's nice to think about working with honest customers where you both trust each other to be honest and do the right thing. But it's the few bad apples that ruin the bunch. Better to CYA.

UPS and FedEx just leave the package off out front unless it requires a signature. Most Amazon deliveries are just left off. I do throw my jury duty notice in the trash and say I never got it.
But I am glad your customer and your company got things worked out.
And about honesty, 75% of the stories on this forum are stretching the truth.