• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Always wear your fall-protection...

signage

Doesn't your fall protection usually connect to what is supporting you? Would that have helped?

Martin Denton

There was an accident in Manchester UK about 5 - 6 years ago when a bus hit a bucket lift, the sign maker wasn't wearing a harness and got thrown out on the impact and killed...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Dont even need the truck to go... sometimes the hoist is enough.
Dude was the 200 pound counterweight to a 2000 pound catapult.

https://arlweb.msha.gov/FATALS/2004/Overviews/FO2004-C03.pdf

Good advise. A few times I've been in the bucket, unknowingly snagged or pushed up against something, when suddenly I break loose and get a small jolt. Not 22" of a jolt, but enough to make me think though what just went wrong.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Another reason, not to let unauthorized people use your equipment or tools. Wonder how the insurance part of it worked ??

Andy D

Years ago I had a buddy who was working inside a large sign cabinet, he unhooked and went to rehook his SH
when he stepped and fell through an access door. Dropped 30 feet and luckily hit the only small grass patch in the parking lot.
Broke his back in two places, both arms, a couple ribs.. but he lived and is doing well now.

equippaint

Dont even need the truck to go... sometimes the hoist is enough.
Dude was the 200 pound counterweight to a 2000 pound catapult.

https://arlweb.msha.gov/FATALS/2004/Overviews/FO2004-C03.pdf
That was smart. I didn't think that there's a requirement for a tie off in a bucket truck? Either way, it's misuse of the equipment.
MSHA requires training on every single machine that you operate, not general training, it's specific to each individual make and model. Like they say, if you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough.