• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Amd Fx or Intel 2nd Gen Processors

AMD FX or Intel 2nd Gen

• AMD Fx

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Intel 2nd Gen

Votes: 37 74.0%

• Total voters

jayhawksigns

For home use, in a HTPC, I'ld still use AMD. For our work computers where I am not having to get the purchase by the wife, its Intel all the way.

The small difference in price isn't worth the savings when time is money and you are working on something for a customer.

signmeup

How many people would be able to tell which chip they were using just by operating their favorite software? My guess... none.

Your poll should include, "Couldn't give a rats a$$. Either would be wonderful."

Flubber

How many people would be able to tell which chip they were using just by operating their favorite software? My guess... none.

Your poll should include, "Couldn't give a rats a$$. Either would be wonderful."

Did you forget to drink your coffee this am?....lol:covereyes:

Techman

The fact is

The Intel I7 chip is eating every thing else on the planet.

The latest AMD bulldozer chip is falling way behind. It is a good chip but it cannot keep up with the latest Intel chips.
Even AMD is recognizing that and starting to focus on their server chips which are excellent in their own rights.

jayhawksigns

True that from just using your software will not be able to see a difference, the time it takes to process jobs, run that Photoshop filter, etc., is when you notice a difference.

Like I mentioned in another post, my current design station with a Phenom 9850 rig takes ten minutes longer for one process on a job then our rip station sporting a previous generation i7 does. You add up time wasted waiting for processing to finish over the course of a year and the extra for Intel more then pays for itself.

Flubber

If i go the i7 route which should i choose bc i have seen some that are around $500 to $600 dollars

signmeup

Flubber didn't say what the computer was to be used for. I approached it as if it were me deciding which one I would prefer. (as asked)

Techman

The I7 2600k is down to around $275 range now..

The ivy bridge is about the same is the Sandy bridge. However the newer ivy bridge is touting huge increase in graphics processing. Will we see the difference from the I7 sandy bridge?

IT is reported to be only 3-4% faster than the I7 2600k

Is it worth the $75 price difference? To me it is not.

OldPaint

i have had 2 INTEL processor computers, all the rest have been AMD. 2 laptops was the intel's. both slower then doggie dodoo. the wifes computer which she does mostly M/S word work on, uses corel photo paint fro printing pictures(she does photography)is a 2.2 gig AMD single processor, with 2 gigs a ram and 1 gig add on video card, and it aint slow. my work computer is a AMD QUAD core 2,8 gig, onboard video card and 2 gigs a ram...........and does everthing i need it to do with out a hitch. once you get past that 2 gig processor speed, unless you sit around with a stop watch and time every computation your computer does...........AINT NO REAL DIFFERENCE in any of em. its kind of a dichotomy when you think about it, you want a computer that does stuff INSTANTLY..............THEN you send that info to a slower then a an old 286 computer, printer/plotter and then you WAIT................for a finished product)))))))))))))))))))