• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AMD vs Intel

Pinfinity

Just wondering what the general consensus is on AMD vs intel processors?
I am currently looking at a system purchase and always stuck wih intel.
Not married to intel, but would like some observations on the two

Thanx

redsigns

Just wondering what the general consensus is on AMD vs intel processors?
I am currently looking at a system purchase and always stuck wih intel.
Not married to intel, but would like some observations on the two

Thanx

Over the past 10 years and the purchase of about 30 computers (half being AMD) I have had 2 chips burn out on me and they were both AMD. No expert testing here but I find they good for no more then 2 years before they start to have issue. I also feel (again no expert tests) that the memory on the AMD boards burnt out due to the system not working as well as Intel.

njshorts

I've got nearly all AMD systems, the value for the dollar is much better.

Burned out processors- ever find out why? Clogged heatsink? Bad fan? Overclocking? I've never had a problem with either AMD or Intel processors. In addition, the board has nothing to do with the processor other than accommodating the build/stepping of the proc, and the memory has absolutely nothing to do with the processor- there is no difference in RAM for an Intel or AMD processor based system.

Go AMD- get a faster system for the same cash. Just built a tri-core 3.1 GHz system with 12 GB RAM, Gigabyte board (all I'll buy after MANY failures with other brands), 1 TB HD, Dual-DVI video card, etc... for under 500$.

Techman

Intel is better designed to run CAD/CAM software. I have personal experience that back up this premise.

ionsigns

of 4 desktops: AMD 1100, AMD 64, AMD Quad all running fine. Intel Core 2 [using to surf now] fine, also.

Can't argue Intel being better - more money. Can't say AMD failure prone.
I have never over-clocked and always clean the internals. Running in a nice clean 72° environment does not hurt. My home PC's are in the basement which is always below 70°.

Open a thread about hard drives and we will get LOT'S of opinions.
One thing for sure...use Windows power monitor to turn hard drives off when not in use. Your data will thank you. Back-up. Back-up. Back-up.

njshorts

of 4 desktops: AMD 1100, AMD 64, AMD Quad all running fine. Intel Core 2 [using to surf now] fine, also.

Can't argue Intel being better - more money. Can't say AMD failure prone.
I have never over-clocked and always clean the internals. Running in a nice clean 72° environment does not hurt. My home PC's are in the basement which is always below 70°.

Open a thread about hard drives and we will get LOT'S of opinions.
One thing for sure...use Windows power monitor to turn hard drives off when not in use. Your data will thank you. Back-up. Back-up. Back-up.

Good post, but for that last part- you will see a lot out of both sides of the argument. I'd rather keep my drives running, especially after a long night in the datacenter trying to recover 160 clients data by extending IDE/Power cables and flicking the HD in a "start-spinning-damnit!" motion. My HDs never stop, macbook aside.

Techman

what kind of proof do you want. It is well know fact that Intel has a better floating point processor. And that is what CAD/CAm stuff needs for calculations.

Ahd more. It was well known that most CAD CAM authors write to utilize intel architecture.

njshorts

what kind of proof do you want. It is well know fact that Intel has a better floating point processor. And that is what CAD/CAm stuff needs for calculations.

Ahd more. It was well known that most CAD CAM authors write to utilize intel architecture.

any sort of independent research, comparative data, etc... it's been a while since i was in a true cad environment, but the workstations used AMD athalon single/dual cores and opteron servers.

if there is solid data, it will greatly influence my next upgrade (3-6 months). so far though, anything vector has been handled just as quickly by all 3 machines... 2.53 c2d, AMD 5200+ x2 and AMD tri core 3.1 athalon II.

The only problem I have with AMD at the moment is the acquisition of ATI. I've had much better experience with nvidia and will never change for graphics.

signmeup

The only problem I have with AMD at the moment is the acquisition of ATI. I've had much better experience with nvidia and will never change for graphics.
So.... what if someone comes up with some totally mind blowing new technology that makes all current graphics card technology obsolete? You're not gonna use it unless nvidia has it? Very forward thinking of you. :rolleyes:

WildWestDesigns

I've had much better experience with nvidia and will never change for graphics.

Too bad. The ATI HD 5970 that I have has blown away anything from nvidia that I've had. Now I still use an nvidia card with my Toshiba Quisimio (sp?) laptop and it's sufficient, but nothing like my 5970, but that nvidia is also in a laptop, so I'm willing to cut it some slack.

njshorts

So.... what if someone comes up with some totally mind blowing new technology that makes all current graphics card technology obsolete? You're not gonna use it unless nvidia has it? Very forward thinking of you. :rolleyes:

I don't play games, which pretty much solves that one. My 7600GS 512MB dual-dvi has done more than I need for a LONG time - same for the 6000 series in my G5. If the need arises, I'll look elsewhere... but so far, nvidia has my vote. Graphics cards are EXTREMELY overrated for our industry, it's all about value. I couldn't possibly care less about FPS for WOW or CoD since the extent of my gaming ends with chess and flash time wasters.

...that, and... nvidia is pretty cutting edge. hdmi support years ago, mini-display port support now, etc... my piss-poor experiences with ati leaves me a bit jaded against em. sorry that you had to take my observation about not being corporate-centric as being an elitest.

njshorts

Too bad. The ATI HD 5970 that I have has blown away anything from nvidia that I've had. Now I still use an nvidia card with my Toshiba Quisimio (sp?) laptop and it's sufficient, but nothing like my 5970, but that nvidia is also in a laptop, so I'm willing to cut it some slack.

so... spending the extra 600 bucks made you more money and increased productivity? that's amazing!

Techman

any sort of independent research, comparative data, etc... it's been a while since i was in a true cad environment, but the workstations used AMD athalon single/dual cores and opteron servers.

You will have spend a little time to learn for yourself if you want independent data.
I guess what I mention should be validated. I mean I only spend a lifetime working with computers starting way back in the 70's

Google is your friend. God helps those who help themselves.

Joe Diaz

I can't tell the difference, other than price. Both brands have been equally reliable for me. Every time I get a new computer, for the most part I try to get one with newer and faster parts, so I have never been able to compare two similar processors in two similar builds to see which one performs faster. And even if I did, it is unlikely that I would sit there with a timewatch and time them to the millisecond to see which ones come out on top. Before I buy new computers or parts I like to go here to compare processors: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

The fastest computer I own right now, has an Intel i7 in it. which is my laptop and I got that about a year ago, a little less than a year before that I updated my desktop at work to one with an AMD Phenom X4 in it. . At the time it was one of the fastest AMDs I could get in that build, The intel seems a little faster, but it's also newer, so that is to be expected.

Just last week I was online shopping for parts. I planned on fixing an older desktop I had laying around at home. When I saw how cheap prices seemed to be I ended up buying a barebone kit instead. For less than $250 I got that same phenom x4 processor that I use at work, 4GB or ram, a motherboard, 1TB hard drive, a case with power supply, and a DVD burner. I ordered it Tuesday late afternoon, got it Wednesday morning and put it all together and had it up in running in less than an hour. You can't beat that.

WildWestDesigns

so... spending the extra 600 bucks made you more money and increased productivity? that's amazing!

It's called shopping for deals. It is amazing what you can get if you are patient enough to shop for the deals. I haven't paid MSRP in years on anything. In todays internet world just need to know were to look for things. Deals can be had and things can be got for much better prices.

Considering that I can render the 3D quicker that in turns means that I can make changes quicker and get it out there quicker as well. So yes, productivity does get quicker.

I remember one embroidery program (yes they do render in 3D, but not as extensive as my CNC software does) that it would take 7 minutes for changes to take effect if I was doing a decent detailed 300 mm x 200 mm pattern (back of a shirt/jacket size pattern). 7 minutes adds up really quickly when every little change takes that long time to render on the screen and on the file. The recommended dedicated memory on the graphics card for this program is 1 GB and it uses it all if that's what you have available. I couldn't run any extra programs at the time. I'm able to run 4 programs over 3 monitors at one time with very little to no slowdown. Sometimes it's 5 programs if they are wanting sound as well, but that's only for a few clients so far.

So, yes, if I can turn out those bigger more detailed graphics that means my fixed rate that I do for people that send me vector files for embroidery is more profit. The longer it takes, the more labor and thus less profit.

With the amount of work that I have, the fact that I didn't pay full MSRP on the card, and I'm able to get my work out there quicker, not just for embroidery but other work as well, that card has been worth it's weight in gold. Now that isn't everyone for sure, but don't be so quick to dismiss.

Last edited:

njshorts

You will have spend a little time to learn for yourself if you want independent data.
I guess what I mention should be validated. I mean I only spend a lifetime working with computers starting way back in the 70's

Google is your friend. God helps those who help themselves.

I've been a sysadmin for 12 years, tech support for years before that- I get the technical side of it... just haven't been able to find evidence to support or disprove your claim.

Again, I'm not arguing with you- just looking to see if what you say will justify switching to Intel on my next build.

njshorts

It's called shopping for deals. It is amazing what you can get if you are patient enough to shop for the deals. I haven't paid MSRP in years on anything. In todays internet world just need to know were to look for things. Deals can be had and things can be got for much better prices.

Considering that I can render the 3D quicker that in turns means that I can make changes quicker and get it out there quicker as well. So yes, productivity does get quicker.

I remember one embroidery program (yes they do render in 3D, but not as extensive as my CNC software does) that it would take 7 minutes for changes to take effect if I was doing a decent detailed 300 mm x 200 mm pattern (back of a shirt/jacket size pattern). 7 minutes adds up really quickly when every little change takes that long time to render on the screen and on the file. The recommended dedicated memory on the graphics card for this program is 1 GB and it uses it all if that's what you have available. I couldn't run any extra programs at the time. I'm able to run 4 programs over 3 monitors at one time with very little to no slowdown. Sometimes it's 5 programs if they are wanting sound as well, but that's only for a few clients so far.

So, yes, if I can turn out those bigger more detailed graphics that means my fixed rate that I do for people that send me vector files for embroidery is more profit. The longer it takes, the more labor and thus less profit.

With the amount of work that I have, the fact that I didn't pay full MSRP on the card, and I'm able to get my work out there quicker, not just for embroidery but other work as well, that card has been worth it's weight in gold. Now that isn't everyone for sure, but don't be so quick to dismiss.

I see your point, and didn't take embroidery into account... we don't do it so of course- no one does (I'll slap myself now).

From my experience, this little pci-e 512MB has rendered everything I ever needed from Corel files, multi-GB Photoshop CS5 files, 4'x30' cut/plot files in flexi, etc... For us, graphics have never been the slowdown. When I went from a 5200+ x2 w/4 gb ram to a tri 3.1 II with 12 gb ram- that's when we saw a big difference. Cut our RIP time in half, among other massive improvements.