• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another Nightmare Latex Printer

airborneassault

After reading the other thread with some of Prowraps & jkdbjj had with prints not being completely dry I crossed my fingers and hoped my HP wasn't listening. Luckily it wasn't bit of attention to the drying issue instead it's "drying" out my LM/LC head. By the way we're running out of Onxy 10 on this current job.

This has been an ongoing problem but it was never really an issue, I could pull the head, clean all the electrical connections, even swap the M/LM or C/LC and it would be fine again until I printed any long runs of vinyl. The time I spent swapping or cleaning was negligible and less messy than cleaning our old solvent machine. Next comes the real issue.

We printed a sprinter a little over a week ago with some grays and light gradient gray fades in the design and I was a bit leery then due to our unmanaged color environment. Anyhow sprinter came out perfect, not a single flaw, grays were spot on neutral out of the box and the customer was thrilled even asked us to wrap their older shop van. Printed & installed the complete wrap only to have the customer point out how green our grays had become.

Now at this point I figured it was possible something had happened in the file as it had to be tweaked to fit the different body style van. No such luck, seems like it was a freak accident only other change was we bumped up from 10 pass to 12 pass. So I go ahead and do some test prints, 1st one out of the gate is 60" x 4' and grays are spot on, reds pop everything's perfect. I thought ahead and went the logical step forward by laminating, colors are still spot on and neutral. So today I print new panels for the whole van, 1st 10 feet are perfect, takeup is working nicely so I go about my other work. When I return I find that not only is it prompting me to replace M/lM head but I can see exactly where the grays turn to green.

HP tech support has been way more than helpful, my issue is the allure to this machine was the heads aren't supposed to dry out especially mid print of something crucial like that. Both my dealer that consumables from and my dealer that sold me the machine claim they haven't heard any issues like that at all but HP says they are aware of the problem and there are quite a few people in the same boat. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of anything like it?

Sorry for the small novel, I'm a bit flustered at the moment and needed to blow off some steam, now its way past quittin' time and a :bushmill: is definitely in order.

HulkSmash

Head Drying out? That is a new one... really Odd...You should try adding a humidifier..

As for your greys turning green, has nothing to do with the printer - if you're using 3M. The laminate adds a greenish tint to flesh tones, and light greys.

airborneassault

We've thought about the humidifier idea before but always passed by it, thanks for the suggestion I think I will add Mr. Humidifier to the payroll.

Glad you mentioned the 3M, we're actually using supercast with 1360 overlam and there isn't a bit of color change after lamination. Under fluorescents of course it looks a little green to me but out in natural sunlight I'm impressed with how neutral it is out of the box.

It is obvious where in the print the malfunction happened, it's on one single panel nearly halfway through and continues on in the rest of the panels from that point forward.

Last edited:

jkdbjj

airborn, something I have noticed on my unit is if I am doing long runs I now am afraid to walk away. When I do, I always come back to one of the heads banding. It is SO DAMN frustrating, but such is life I guess.
Hope you get it worked out.

HulkSmash

We've thought about the humidifier idea before but always passed by it, thanks for the suggestion I think I will add Mr. Humidifier to the payroll.

Glad you mentioned the 3M, we're actually using supercast with 1360 overlam and there isn't a bit of color change after lamination. Under fluorescents of course it looks a little green to me but out in natural sunlight I'm impressed with how neutral it is out of the box.

It is obvious where in the print the malfunction happened, it's on one single panel nearly halfway through and continues on in the rest of the panels from that point forward.

Avery does it as well. just not as much

Mosh

Laytex Paint SUCKS so why shouldn't laytex printers, it is like having vinyl siding on your house...If you have plastic siding (vinyl) I challenge you to go outside and kick your house or pull on it when it is cold. That stuff is for trailer houses, not REAL houses. Part of the reason for the Housing burst, CHEAT CRAP HOUSES!!!!

HulkSmash

Laytex Paint SUCKS so why shouldn't laytex printers, it is like having vinyl siding on your house...If you have plastic siding (vinyl) I challenge you to go outside and kick your house or pull on it when it is cold. That stuff is for trailer houses, not REAL houses. Part of the reason for the Housing burst, CHEAT CRAP HOUSES!!!!
Mosh. You havmt a clue.

ProWraps

ROFL. speeeel check is not your friend.

i love you mosh.

airborneassault

Rick thank you for the heads up on the ink cart. We've been through a couple cartridges already and the issue remained but maybe wasn't happening as often. Thanks again I'll do some swapping and see if it returns any different results.

Few things I forgot to mention from the get-go. We have the original Black/Yellow heads still installed, they're of course out of warranty now but I've never had an issue at all with them but my HP tech insists those out of warranty heads are to blame for my issue. This seemed a little wonky to me, I refused to replace 2 functioning heads because they're past the suggested ink usage granted they will HAVE to be replaced sooner or later. I guess my point being is don't fix what isn't broken especially when those two heads are the only ones that didn't throw back an error code of any kind as opposed to one each of the LC/C & LM/M reporting error code 10.

Last edited: