• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another sign shop somehow has my web site linked to his name

gabagoo

OK let me explain. if I type in my company name there are several of the same name across the country, although I am incorporated and did a search to have the name.

I have been getting a rather large amount of inquiries from people in Alberta and I am in Ontario, so I know they are really looking for this other company.
I did not know how they kept getting my email address and now I see that if I google my name and click on the company in Alberta it goes to my web site.
Who can i call to have this fixed?

Mosh

I have e-mail problems like this. A shop in the Caribean has almost the
exact e-mail as my old one (reason I changed). I still have the old one and
forward the messages to them.

signswi

You can call a reputation management seo firm, expect to pay $1500/month for a minimum of a three month contract.

Or, you can start learning seo and rep management on your own. See you in a couple years!

Seriously though make sure your G+ Local and Bing Business Portal info is all correct, that's the first step. Those results float above the organic serps and drive a lot of clicks.

Bigdawg

Just Me
That doesn't sound like an SEO problem - that sounds like a bad link problem. I did a search on your company and couldn't get the alberta one to come up and go to your web site, so I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about...

can you post a screenshot???

signswi

You're in Florida, they don't serve the same SERP results to two counties next to each other much less to Florida and Toronto :p.

A bad link is sort of the definition of an SEO problem. That's the entire field of reputation management.

Frankly it sounds like a good problem to have, you're getting your competitors calls. That's free leads!

Really though you haven't said what site this link is from, do a whois on it and email the domain admin that you want the link/redirect removed or changed. They may or may not help. If it's from a directory, submit a correction or claim the listing and delete it. Basic rep management.

If you can't get it fixed you just work on making sure CORRECT links appear in the top of the SERPs, some bad link shouldn't be outranking you anyway, yet another reason this is a SEO/Rep Management issue.

Last edited:

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
Sounds like maybe the Alberta shop just redirected their domain to your website. When you go directly to the Alberta shop's website does it go directly to your website? If so goto http://www.who.is find the contact information and email them to tell them to stop redirecting. Sometimes they will not have contact information but this would be the cheapest option. Hopefully that helps if I am understanding the issue correctly.

I do seo and the other option would be to get a rep to do it and if it's company name should be easy to do for anyone knowledgeable in seo.

gabagoo

That doesn't sound like an SEO problem - that sounds like a bad link problem. I did a search on your company and couldn't get the alberta one to come up and go to your web site, so I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about...

can you post a screenshot???

your right, but the first time I searched it was there, then about 30 minutes later it did not show up. It must be hit and miss, but I have certainly been getting many requests for signage from out there.

ucmj22

is the problem that the google places page for the one in alberta is linking to you? if so, just contact google. all that SEO talk is just code for voodoo.

CanuckSigns

When I google your business name, I get a bunch of industry websites with your address and phone number, your actual website isn't listed until half way down page 2 for me. this is on google.ca, about 50 miles from your shop

CanuckSigns

wait, nevermind I just replicated it, Google auto-fills in the search "All Star Signs Stony Plain" (the town in alberta) and the first link has the alberta address with your web address, see screenshot

Attachments

• all star screenshot.jpg
    all star screenshot.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 58

gabagoo

wait, nevermind I just replicated it, Google auto-fills in the search "All Star Signs Stony Plain" (the town in alberta) and the first link has the alberta address with your web address, see screenshot

you see it is sort of hit and miss. It doesnt really bother me but sometimes the emails go back and forth, then they realize I am in Ontario and they know something is not right.

CanuckSigns

you see it is sort of hit and miss. It doesnt really bother me but sometimes the emails go back and forth, then they realize I am in Ontario and they know something is not right.

You should take advantage, the economy in Alberta is much better than here!

royster13

That is just a stupid thing with Google.....The search and the maps are producing results that are not related to one another....It probably has something to do with your site not being optimized very well and/or you have not connected your location to Google maps....

signswi

As I said in the beginning, SEO/Rep Management issue :). Your own site should easily outrank all of those sites and be the first hit in search completion. Especially for branded searches. It's really not hard to rank a sign business as the industry is so full of crap ancient websites.

Wait, nevermind, carry on everyone, don't change a thing!

:ROFLMAO: