Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-graffiti Laminate - Weird bubbles

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Josh Klassen, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Josh Klassen

Josh Klassen New Member

Sep 18, 2012
    We use an anti-graffiti laminate on some signs. Once and a while after mounting it to a substrate bubbles appear. Long streaky bubbles. When we try and pop them and work them out they re appear in a short time. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem? We were mounting them on an Ezy taper but when we had to re do them on we decided to mount them using our laminator with a little bit of heat...it seemed to be fine but I am still curious why it would make a difference.

2. craftladies

craftladies New Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I have had the same problem. I put the lamination on the vinyl with our cold laminator. Then I applied everything to the substrate. I noticed they scratched very easily, and heat would not take out the squeegee marks. IM not sure what's going on with it

3. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    What Brand is it?

4. Josh Klassen

Josh Klassen New Member

Sep 18, 2012
    anti graffiti brand

It is Avery Dol 6060

5. Josh Klassen

Josh Klassen New Member

Sep 18, 2012
    So you had similar bubbles appear though?

6. craftladies

craftladies New Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Yes same bubbles, and squeegee marks that wouldn't come out like regular lam.

7. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    had same problem with vandal guard product. And even if it's a anti-graffiti laminate, a green color dry erase marker won't erase at all. It always leave a green cloud.

8. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I have had the issue with vandalguard and oracal.

We eventually used 3M (very expensive) and it did not display this issue at all.

9. JLD984

JLD984 Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Australia
    Apparently it's very similar to Dry Erase which I had the same trouble with. Use a manual laminator and loosen the rollers one or two turns from where you'd have them mounting regular vinyl etc.

10. JLD984

JLD984 Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Australia
    And make sure you have a stiff substrate beneath it, I use 3mm Dibond.