• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

any computer gurus on here?

just switched on my plotter computer and i got a blue screen error message. its an unmountable_boot_volume message. the code is>>
stop 0x000000ed (0x80e51b28, 0xc0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

and from looking online seems i need to put in the xp disc and boot from that. i put in the cd and basically it does nothing.....i get the recovery screen come up in windows asking if i want to start normally, or use safe mode etc, but what ever mode i start in it then goes to the blue screen etc.

how do i access the disc so i can try and recover my computer? i read somewhere to press f12 when starting up but that does nothing...
any suggestions on getting this thing sorted?

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Before you give up on the machine. Purchase http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm and try to fix whatever is wrong with the hard drive. Could be a bad sector that caused a file to not be found during bootup.

I've fixed several computers with SpinRite. If it works you should do a complete image backup using something like Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/ and then install a new hard drive and restore the True Image backup to the new drive.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I gave you good advice as did the other person.

But pressing F11 or F2 or F8 or whatever it is for you machine isn't going to tell you how to fix it. Those function keys only give you options during the boot process. If you don't know anything. It would be better to unhook the computer and take it to a local computer shop or call for an on-site repair tech. And don't make things worse and harder or impossible to fix.

MindsEyeOpen

Reboot and as soon as it powers back up start tapping F8. This will take you to your Advanced Boot options. Go into your Recovery Console and select Boot to Command Prompt, or whatever it says exactly.

At the prompt type "fixboot" and let it do its thing, then restart. If that doesn't fix it, go through the same process but type "fixmbr" instead. One of these should get you fixed up.

OldPaint

this all you did??? and was the computer working before you attached plotter? need more info as to WHY.....YOU got a blue screen.
just switched on my plotter computer and i got a blue screen error message. its an unmountable_boot_volume message. the code is>>
stop 0x000000ed (0x80e51b28, 0xc0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
simple disconnect any thing attached to the computer!!!!! then see if it works. you may just have a dead hard drive. you didnt drop it maybe??

have used the computer without any problems for several years, switched it on as normal today and i got the blue screen message. no new hardware/software has been installed for years, its not even connected to the internet, just a plotter computer really.

brianb, i'm not ignoring your advice, i appreciate your response. i'm trying to get to the boot disc on my drive as i have the xp disc in the cd drive and i cannot access it to try and get to the recovery part of the disc, hence my question about what button to press to access the disc!

MindsEyeOpen

i'm trying to get to the boot disc on my drive as i have the xp disc in the cd drive and i cannot access it to try and get to the recovery part of the disc, hence my question about what button to press to access the disc!

Sounds like your BIOS may not be set up to boot from CD. Go into your BIOS and make sure your CD drive is listed before your hard drive in the boot order list.

veloxgraphics

Judging from the back-and-forth so far, it sounds like you may need to hire someone with know-how to get you back going again.

SignBurst PCs

Yep, sounds bad. It sounds like a hard drive failure or at least data corruption (which might or might not be caused by a failing hard drive).

Spinrite might help, but can be a lengthy process.

There is a technical article here. it just tells you to check you hard drive controller, cable , and hard drive. It also says:

"Method 1: Repair the volume
Note the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) in the error message. You might have to regenerate the error in order to write it down.

If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, the cause of the error is that the file system is damaged. You can try to repair the volume to see whether this resolves the error. If the second parameter is not 0xC0000032, see "Method 2: Check the IDE cable and load Fail-Safe settings" for help.

Some things that you should know before you try this solution
If the file system is damaged, you can use chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. However, if you use the chkdsk /r command, you may lose some data.
You will need the Windows startup disks or the Windows installation disk. If you do not have them, contact the computer manufacturer for help in obtaining the disks.
You will need the administrator password to complete the steps.
To repair the volume, follow these steps:
Start your computer by inserting the Windows startup disks or the Windows installation disk if your computer can start from the CD drive.
When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do this.

Note If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.
After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.
If this procedure does not work, repeat it, but type fixboot instead of chkdsk /r in step 5.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please see the "Next steps" section for help."

tcorn1965

Reboot and as soon as it powers back up start tapping F8. This will take you to your Advanced Boot options. Go into your Recovery Console and select Boot to Command Prompt, or whatever it says exactly.

At the prompt type "fixboot" and let it do its thing, then restart. If that doesn't fix it, go through the same process but type "fixmbr" instead. One of these should get you fixed up.

+1

am trying the recovery part right now, its "doing its thing" and is i guess checking the hard drive or something and is at 65% and progressing slowly......

thanks for the advice and thanks to all the others who pitched in and threw in some good advice for me to try.......

i'm in no way capable at computer fixes.....hence the plea for help on here as i know alot of you guys can fix most things computer related and thought if its not to complicated i'd have a go and see if i can't try at least something before calling in a tech(which i have had to do before)..