• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any government employees?

tooler82

After having the Mimaki CJV30-130 I have for 5 years, it’s time to upgrade. Right after we got it they even discontinued that model. Here lies the help I need. With the government, you have to write a letter of justification for equipment to buy. I talked to my Colonel Monday when he was rushing me with a last minute job. Ended up doing it immediately after the printer printed and it was wet as hell, but got it to work. Told him if he wanted it immediately I need a Mimaki UCJV300-160 and it’s dry as soon as it’s done printing. He said well write me up a letter of justification. Anyone have any direction is how to beef up this justification in order to get it through to being approved? I know for sure bring up the fact no more waiting 24 hours or so to dry before laminating and how it’ll save production time etc. Or is there another machine that would be better?

bannertime

Increased mission effectiveness, sir! Also, we can use the machine to offset the cost by selling it or use it as a back up to improve readiness(one is none, two is one).

How old was the last machine before it got updated?

Just curious, are you GS, civilian contractor, or military member? I kind of wish I had moved into one of the graphics departments of the Army before getting out.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Ha...as a retired USAF graphic designer, I wrote a view of those "justification" letters. As mentioned always throw in "the mission" and how critical it is to be produce "visual information" in a timely manner. It is that time of year you know. $$

p.s. latex is the way to go if budget allows. Do your homework though. Most of the latex printers need a dedicated 220V line. That would need to be included in the budget.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have installed about 25 printers on military bases around the country so we are the guys who bid on your requests! One thing you might try is to say that the UV inks are much less toxic and don't require any special health and safety procedures. I have had many military customers take the warning stickers off the solvent printers because they didn't want to do the paperwork involved! It also doesn't require heaters which saves you time. The UV inks can also print on more substrates which gives you more capabilities. Also, the ink for the UCJV is almost exactly half the cost of the solvent per mL.

tooler82

Increased mission effectiveness, sir! Also, we can use the machine to offset the cost by selling it or use it as a back up to improve readiness(one is none, two is one).

How old was the last machine before it got updated?

Just curious, are you GS, civilian contractor, or military member? I kind of wish I had moved into one of the graphics departments of the Army before getting out.
It wasn’t updated. I’m a machinist at work. After my last deployment to Afghanistan they decided they wanted to create a sign shop and since I went to school for graphic design they decided to roll me over into. So go back to work, and a month or so later we had the printer. Well it’s weird is Mississippi. I’m a WG, or wage grade, DoD civilian, but you have to be in the Army National Guard to get these jobs, and have to wear your uniform everyday.

tooler82

I have installed about 25 printers on military bases around the country so we are the guys who bid on your requests! One thing you might try is to say that the UV inks are much less toxic and don't require any special health and safety procedures. I have had many military customers take the warning stickers off the solvent printers because they didn't want to do the paperwork involved! It also doesn't require heaters which saves you time. The UV inks can also print on more substrates which gives you more capabilities. Also, the ink for the UCJV is almost exactly half the cost of the solvent per mL.
Great! The only thing I knew was I told the colonel it would increase production time and not solvent based ink so I can definitely add more to the letter of justification.

tooler82

Ha...as a retired USAF graphic designer, I wrote a view of those "justification" letters. As mentioned always throw in "the mission" and how critical it is to be produce "visual information" in a timely manner. It is that time of year you know. $$

p.s. latex is the way to go if budget allows. Do your homework though. Most of the latex printers need a dedicated 220V line. That would need to be included in the budget.
That's why we have DPW on base to do that lol.

bannertime

It wasn’t updated.

Okay that's good. Then they can't say "we had the machine before it for 10 years" or anything dumb like that.

Well it’s weird is Mississippi. I’m a WG, or wage grade, DoD civilian, but you have to be in the Army National Guard to get these jobs, and have to wear your uniform everyday.

Wow. That is strange. Also sounds like something I'd have loved to do. Like I always considered doing full time NG.