• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any hazards???

skyhigh

I have a customer with a couple dozen 10 mil coro signs that were printed on a UV flatbed. There is one line (2" x 20") that they would like removed (or covered). The text is all black, and not touching anything else.

For giggles, I folded a paper towel, soaked with 91% isopropyl alcohol across the line of text, and waited 5 minutes. The UV ink wiped off clean and VERY easy.

I got to wondering if there may be some sort of chemical reaction between the UV ink and alcohol.....or FUMES, that I should be concerned about???

I don't want anyone to get sick over my stupidity.

:thankyou:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Use paint respirator or work outdoors. I'm surprised that isopropyl alcolhol is that strong...or perhaps the ink hasn't been totally cured.

JB

SD&F

I believe anytime you start using anything to desolve, use a mask or like JB said work outside. It can't be good to inhale it.

skyhigh

Use paint respirator or work outdoors. I'm surprised that isopropyl alcolhol is that strong...or perhaps the ink hasn't been totally cured.

JB

James, is that an official answer......or is that a "when in doubt" answer??

And yes, the isopropyl took it off clean and easy. It came off like....lets say "ashes"? crumbly ashes. One swipe to remove most. If it didn't sit long enough, then you would have to scrub a bit.

skyhigh

I believe anytime you start using anything to desolve, use a mask or like JB said work outside. It can't be good to inhale it.

Truthfully, I didn't notice any smell.....but of course the ISO is overwhelming too.

carter75

The place I used to work at would use alcohol to remove any ink the that was sprayed on the bed of the printer caused by overspray from an edge to edge print, and I too have used it several times to remove the ink from coro signs as well. I would definitely wear gloves but I don't think there are any hazardous fumes, but not positive. It could be delayed, but I am still alive!

skyhigh

Thanks for the response carter.
After leaving the alcohol rag on the ink, it would come off "crumbly" (lack of a better description), rather than what I had imagined.....that being, a watery ink that would stain your hands.

Imagine wiping up "Signfoam" (HDU) dust with a wet paper towell. Also, it left none of the black ink on my hands. It came off clean as a whistle too.

May be dead in 6 months tho....:doh:
My motto has always been....."What doesn't kill ya, will only make you stronger"' Its those around me I was worried about.

carter75

Yeah, we usually would spray a light layer of alcohol and then scrape off the ink with a plastic razor blade. It seemed to work pretty well.