• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any help on print/laminate/cut

Zazzess

Hi

I'm asked to try the print/laminate/cut possibility we have with VW.

I'd like to have your advice about how to use it right.
What to avoid, etc ...

:thankyou::U Rock:

Mike F

What type of laminate are you using? If you're doing a spray lam I think you can just set operation mode to "print & cut" under Cut Controls, let it do it's thing, then spray it and weed it. I could be wrong though, never done it myself. If you do it this way, make sure you only use pinch rollers on the right and left sides, otherwise when it pulls it back to do the cut the pinch rollers in the middle will track ink all over and you'll ruin your print. If you're using "regular" laminate, under Mark, check off "Crop Marks (Print & Cut Alignment)", and under Cut Controls, set operation mode to print only. This'll print 4 big black dots around the corners of your print, along with a black rectangle in the lower right hand corner. Also make sure you haven't checked off "Center on Media" under Layout. When it's printed, hold the down arrow on the printer for a few seconds to run out a little bit of extra media, then do a sheet cut, laminate it, trim off any excess if you need to to get it to fit back in your printer, and load it back in the printer the same way it came out, making sure to line up that rectangle with the print head. Once it's secured and lined up, go back to versaworks and under Cut Controls, set operation mode to "Cut Only", and as crazy as it sounds, "Print" it. It should scan for the registration marks and make the cuts. You may have to adjust your cut settings or do 2 or 3 cuts to compensate for the laminate, but yea, that about sums it up.

Do you have a copy of the Roland Mystery Book? If not PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to you, it's got alot of information I think you could use.

Zazzess

WoW Great !! Good info !
I use a Royal Sovereign to laminate...

And you are right it does sound crazy....

I'll have to try !

I'll PM you right away !

Thanks again !

routierracing

Another couple of tips. When possible its always nice to leave a little extra room between the pinch rollers and edge of material when printing. That way when you go to cut theres a little more room to work with and the rollers won't have to be realigned perfect.

Make sure you always run of an extra couple inches before sheet cutting because the rollers will need to grab that extra later in cutting. If not the print is useless.

The sheet cut option is nice because its cut will be perfectly straight with the crop marks that way when you put it back in the machine you can line it up to the machined lines around the vac holes. Then move the cut head over to make sure the eye is near the marks. And youre ready to go.

Mike F

Make sure you always run of an extra couple inches before sheet cutting because the rollers will need to grab that extra later in cutting. If not the print is useless.

While this is good practice, I've never actually had an issue with not running out a few extra inches. It did look pretty sketchy while it was cutting the few times I've forgotten, but it still came out fine. Worst comes to worst, if you do forget and it's too short, you can always pull out a few inches of media, sheet cut, and just tape it to the back edge of your print.

Zazzess

Woh ! It looks too easy !!

Okay guys !

Now that my printer is vacant I can test what I understood in what you've just told me...

Lets say I send my boss' company logo.

I send it to print with :

Under Mark: check off "Crop Marks (Print & Cut Alignment)".
Under Cut Controls: set operation mode to print only.
This'll print 4 big black dots around the corners of your print, along with a black rectangle in the lower right hand corner.
Also make sure you haven't checked off "Center on Media" under Layout.
When it's printed, hold the down arrow on the printer for a few seconds to run out a little bit of extra media, then do a sheet cut.
Laminate it, trim off any excess if you need to get it to fit back in your printer, and load it back in the printer the same way it came out.
Making sure to line up that rectangle with the print head.
Once it's secured and lined up, go back to versaworks.
Under Cut Controls: set operation mode to "Cut Only", and as crazy as it sounds, "Print" it.
It should scan for the registration marks and make the cuts.
[FONT=&quot]You may have to adjust your cut settings or do 2 or 3 cuts to compensate for the laminate, but yea, that about sums it up.

It can cut the outline if I ask it to cut the strokes ?

My boss want to do a stainless sign and stick is laminated logo on it...
[/FONT]

petepaz

While this is good practice, I've never actually had an issue with not running out a few extra inches. It did look pretty sketchy while it was cutting the few times I've forgotten, but it still came out fine. Worst comes to worst, if you do forget and it's too short, you can always pull out a few inches of media, sheet cut, and just tape it to the back edge of your print.
we keep some extra release liner around for just such cases but usually if you have about 6in extra after your crop / alignment marks you are good

Mike F

Okay guys !

Now that my printer is vacant I can test what I understood in what you've just told me...

Lets say I send my boss' company logo.

I send it to print with :

Under Mark: check off "Crop Marks (Print & Cut Alignment)".
Under Cut Controls: set operation mode to print only.
This'll print 4 big black dots around the corners of your print, along with a black rectangle in the lower right hand corner.
Also make sure you haven't checked off "Center on Media" under Layout.
When it's printed, hold the down arrow on the printer for a few seconds to run out a little bit of extra media, then do a sheet cut.
Laminate it, trim off any excess if you need to get it to fit back in your printer, and load it back in the printer the same way it came out.
Making sure to line up that rectangle with the print head.
Once it's secured and lined up, go back to versaworks.
Under Cut Controls: set operation mode to "Cut Only", and as crazy as it sounds, "Print" it.
It should scan for the registration marks and make the cuts.
[FONT=&quot]You may have to adjust your cut settings or do 2 or 3 cuts to compensate for the laminate, but yea, that about sums it up.

It can cut the outline if I ask it to cut the strokes ?

My boss want to do a stainless sign and stick is laminated logo on it...
[/FONT]

When you "Print" with operation mode set to "Cut Only", it'll read the registration marks and cut along the CutContour line that you (should have) made in Illustrator or CorelDraw.

Not really sure what you're asking here...?

Zazzess

It finished printing but there's no 4 big black dots around the corners of the print, along with a black rectangle in the lower right hand corner.

Zazzess

Oh no ! Guess what I did...
I thought that check off meant : uncheck...

Now I know the difference between check on, check off, uncheck and not to check...

That is what I call ''faux amis'' :)

:p

Mike F

Are you sure you have "Print Crop Marks" checked?

Guess I should have worded what I said better, when I said "check off", what I meant was to put a check in the box. I also meant make sure there isn't a check in the box next to "Center on Media". Sorry about that, I should have caught that in your other post, I forgot your main language is French (I think?)

Edit: aaaand that explains it.

Zazzess

anyone can send me something, (picture...)
so I know exactly where to put the rectangle back in the printer ..

Pleease :D

sry if its a stupid question :p

Zazzess

Are you sure you have "Print Crop Marks" checked?

Guess I should have worded what I said better, when I said "check off", what I meant was to put a check in the box. I also meant make sure there isn't a check in the box next to "Center on Media". Sorry about that, I should have caught that in your other post, I forgot your main language is French (I think?)

Edit: aaaand that explains it.

Yes AH AH !!

:Big Laugh

Mainframe

If you laminate, you need to go under cut controls & make the down force higher, I would start at 165 & go up from there, if you didn't cut deep enough the first time then just put it through again with the same down force & it should cut it, do you know how to do a test cut to see if you are cutting deep enough for weeding?