• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

any ideas removing old stripes?

racershawn

Hey all ... I have an RV with fiberflass sides and old stripes that the customer wants removed....anyone have any advice on removing them??

Attachments

• Alide 1.jpg
    Alide 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 166
  • alide 2.jpg
    alide 2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 142

signmeup

Charge by the hour.
3M makes several spray can products for removing glue and vinyl. It's about $25 a can up here. Looks like you'll be needing some for that old alligatored vinyl.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
id try one of those erasers....i only ever used it once, and it made a mess, but it was on a similar job....really old vinyl that didn't want to come off nicely/quickly/easily....the eraser made the job go much faster...

Jillbeans

Hairdryer, a L'il Chizler, and Rapid Remover.
Hourly fee, and it will take many hours and probably leave a ghost, which you will never be able to cover exactly if there are any curves etc.
Although you did not mention replacing the stripes, just removing them.
Love.....Jill

GVP

If you go down the Eraser/Zapper route, be aware that those rubber wheels can cause burn marks on fiberglass if you dwell on one spot too long - and you can't get rid of them. Ask me how I know..

racershawn

thanks guys ... I thought about the eraser... but had not used it on a big job before ... and yes I will be replacing the stripes but with differant bigger ones that will cover most of the area

G-Artist

Recently I saw a YouTube vid by Vinyl Off.

Anyone ever use it? Work as advertised? Worth the price?

diamondavenue

vinyl off is pretty good, but be careful around plastic components. ask me how i learned that. for a big job like the one shown i think id try the eraser.

cptcorn

adad
thanks guys ... I thought about the eraser... but had not used it on a big job before ... and yes I will be replacing the stripes but with differant bigger ones that will cover most of the area

Recently I saw a YouTube vid by Vinyl Off.

Anyone ever use it? Work as advertised? Worth the price?

Don't use vinyl off on this, it won't work well. I tried it. Bought an eraser wheel... Done in about 4 hours, 24' motor-home with fiberglass.

Edit, oh yeah, not the drill attachment... I used the pneumatic eraser wheel.

ABPGraphics

If you go down the Eraser/Zapper route, be aware that those rubber wheels can cause burn marks on fiberglass if you dwell on one spot too long - and you can't get rid of them. Ask me how I know..

I had the BURN SPOT happen to me - so I would be very careful!!!!
It was not on fiberglass but just an old painted vehicle - be careful!

luggnut

Yep these old stripes are a nightmare... i hate removing vinyl and these kinds are the worst. i charge the same hourly rate for this as i would for designing a wrap... i try to get them to do it themselves or hire a body shop and it is still gonna leave a ghosted look behind. but this looks like a lot of work at 4hours it would cost him about $350 here for just removal.

MikePro

does universal paint thinner have any effect on fiberglass?
once had to take really old reflective material off aluminum panels that were going to get repainted anyways, so i soaked some rags and let them sit on the vinyl for a few hours... ate right through the vinyl
granted, it takes paint with it too... so I'm not sure if this would be the best idea for vehicular removal.

Bill Binns

Always had good luck with the 3M wheels ( the one with all sandwiched pads ) Used to do motorhomes all the time. Gotta charge by the hour and you can't really guarantee the finish. If they insist on a guarantee, kindly show them the door.

Mosh

I use a 3M wheel that is 1" thick and it works great on our air drill. I hate doing it, I have my "employees" do this type of work all the time.

heyskull

WOW

Yet another set of burnt on stripes that the customer wants removed for pocket change and will take nearly 2 days to remove!!
Then the customer will complain that the paint has faded or been damaged by you taking them off!!!!
Used a 3M wheel before and got good results but it still is going to take a heap of time to do something like this and the mess is awfull.
Scare him of with a HUGE quote, that's what I normally do.

SC

SignosaurusRex

The "Zapper" will do the job! Its electric and has a tendency to heat up where the air powered (Pneumatic) wont, so a pneumatic version works better. You'll want to use the RED-TREAD brand eraser wheel from Dynabrade (part # 92255) which you can get from most auto-body & paint suppliers. Don't go too fast or bear down too hard and you'll be fine without burning any paint or fiberglass. You can finish off any residual adhesives etc. with a medium solvent or lacquer thinner on that unit pictured.