• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Monitor Recommendations?

player

I am looking for a 24" to 27" monitor that is going to give me good colour for printing and be cost effective.

Thanks

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Dell Outlet has their U2414H 24" IPS panel monitors on sale with a coupon for under $200 right now.

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/...&dgc=IR&cid=260728&lid=4691849&delphi:gr=true

That or some other better quality IPS panel type monitor would be my recommendation. The color and viewing angles on IPS monitors truly makes the older TN type panels look bad. There are also several types of IPS nowadays as well as a couple of other newer types of panels. Also (and not saying you do not know the difference) don't confuse LED with LCD panel types, there is no such thing as an LED monitor, there are LED backlit monitors but an "LED" monitor is still and LCD monitor - LED just refers to how it is internally lit.

If you want to go bigger - also on Dell Outlet is the S2740L which is an IPS type panel is $319 but it is still only 1920x1080. You will probably be looking at newer models to get even higher resolutions but it will either come at a higher price to keep the same image quality or will be sacrificing quality to get the higher resolutions. For example, the U2713HM, also an IPS panel has a native resolution of 2560x1440 which makes a significant difference on how much you can get on screen at once but the cost jumps closer to $600. They also have the P2815Q with a massive 3840x2160 resolution for $600 BUT it is only a TN panel and you might need a new video card to support those ultra HD resolutions.

It ultimately boils down to your budget and balancing what you want (best color ranges of IPS panels or biggest monitor) to fit your budget.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Been using a Dell U 2711 since 2012, love it. Thinking about getting a seiki 4k 38" monitor/tv now that they are sub $325, lots of good reviews and I don't do video editing or flash so it will work great for me.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Been using a Dell U 2711 since 2012, love it. Thinking about getting a seiki 4k 38" monitor/tv now that they are sub $325, lots of good reviews and I don't do video editing or flash so it will work great for me.

If you do photo editing the 30hz lag will become pretty troublesome..... its not just video and motion that lags on those. Your mouse will have a small amount of lag which will make precise editing work very challenging since your mouse will start visually moving a half a second late and stop moving a half a second late. Looked into this as a monitor as well. Cannot remember what site I read it on but a few have posted reviews specifically regarding using it for Photoshop work and the lag on using a mouse killed it for them. Not really bothersome for general work like working on documents, surfing the web, etc but precision work becomes incredibly difficult. Using a 40+" HDTV as a monitor that is only HD - tried it once, terrible color, and 2" icons and gigantic text with visible pixels just did not do it for me. Fine for somewhat of a distance and just general use but no good for up close work. 4K however is a game changer - I still would not really want to go above about 40" in size but at that resolution the 39" Seiki is killer - your desktop is razor sharp and things are not stupidly huge. But.... the 30hz refresh rate kills it. If they could implement HDMI 2.0 or a Display Port and support 60hz refresh rate it would truly be the monitor to have. Especially if it is an IPS panel. 4k is still bleeding edge though, it will come soon enough to have what I want at a good price point.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have a 24hz 1080p monitor from NEC and I don't notice any lag in corel or photoshop, but I also don't use mouse shadowing and I don't use mouse smoothing. I'm only interested in the Seiki because I've seen it in action and used it at a friends house, he was raving about it and I think it is a good start for the 4K world.

Obviously at $313 there is a lot of concessions to be made but it doesn't seem all that bad with the current firmware updates and some adaption.