• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Printhead Experts? Ricoh Gen5 Vs Panasonic

sqk7700

Looking at a new printer for dye-sub. Mimaki uses panasonic heads which I don't know anything about, does anyone have experience?

Mimaki has a decent reputation but is definitely on the lower end of the printers I'm looking at, did they cut costs by using panasonic heads instead of Ricoh or Kyocera?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
This is just my opinion but I think Mimaki started to using Panasonic and Ricoh heads to move away from Epson because Epson has been slowly putting a choke hold on Mimaki, Mutoh and Roland for years now. A good example is that, from what I have seen, in the past 5-6 years the price of a DX5 print heads has gone up about 700%. That 700% gets passed on to the customer and degrades the long term value and resell value of Mimaki printers. That 700% has nothing to do with any real market factors. It is simply a tactic to kill the competition. If I were Mimaki I would do the same thing.