• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any tips for Prints on Interior LED Lightbox Display that doesn't washout at higher Lumen Output?

rukh03

Typically we print for outdoor building signs and opaque signs at my work. I feel we have a pretty good handle on good color output and keeping color consistent between lit and unlit signs. Recently I have had a client ask me to match a paint color for an interior backlit led lightbox with high output leds. (like the movie poster boxes at theaters) These lightboxes are on dimmers & I can get the colors to match at 50%, but when the leds are a full blast the colors all washout. I am printing on a Mutoh VJ-1624 Valujet. I tried on double layered clear backed w/ trans white and printing on trans white backed w/ clear.
I have not run into this kind of application before. Any tips for product or techniques would be much appreciated.

Thank you

ams

If you do an overprint, it greatly helps but it will darken your colors more, so what I do is make the colors about 25% lighter so the darker makes it come out even. Never use clear with white ink, always use white translucent.

rukh03

Thank you. I will see if I can find a way to overprint on my printer. I will also try doubling down on the translucent white. (my printer can't print white)

MikePro

the only way I print trans. graphics, is with the dual-layer method: two prints on clear, one reversed, on either side of white poly/acrylic OR clear print with white trans.print overlay on clear/white poly/acrylic.

If this is still not enough, and you're still getting washout with brighter LEDs, then maybe have your base/reverse print layer printed with high ink limits/dual-pass OR create a 2nd file that has a higher color saturation/darker brightness level (or just tweak the settings in your RIP).

edited to add, doubling-down on white trans. negates the extra light from the LEDs. At that point, you may as well just run the sign at a dimmer setting/less LEDs.