• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

any way to spray a mask on a lacquered finish and then cut paint and remove the mask

jssussex

First I'm a retired serious hobbyist who carve small custom signs. I'm experimenting with decorative carving in cabinet doors and have a finishing question. Is there a material I can spray on a lacquered door as a release agent so after I carve and then glaze, paint or stain the carving I can go back and wash off the door and remove all the overspray /paint thats on the door surface. I have a bunch of doors from damaged cabinets to practice on so this is just a learning process for me.

Lacquer is just to sticky to remove any finish any other way. I do not want to put a new finish on door because the surround dooors will not match after that.

letterman7

+1 for paint mask or even a cheap cast vinyl. You'll have to keep your bits sharp or the mask with tear instead of giving you a clean edge.