Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any way to spray a mask on a lacquered finish and then cut paint and remove the mask

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by jssussex, Dec 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jssussex

jssussex New Member

Oct 16, 2013
    First I'm a retired serious hobbyist who carve small custom signs. I'm experimenting with decorative carving in cabinet doors and have a finishing question. Is there a material I can spray on a lacquered door as a release agent so after I carve and then glaze, paint or stain the carving I can go back and wash off the door and remove all the overspray /paint thats on the door surface. I have a bunch of doors from damaged cabinets to practice on so this is just a learning process for me.

Lacquer is just to sticky to remove any finish any other way. I do not want to put a new finish on door because the surround dooors will not match after that.

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    brush-on latex mask?

3. rjssigns

rjssigns Very Active Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
  4. Eric H

Eric H Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds like you could also use a vinyl paint mask, instead of a spray on mask.

5. James Burke

James Burke Premium Subscriber

Jan 2, 2010
    Have you considered using medium tack transfer tape?

JB

6. letterman7

letterman7 Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    +1 for paint mask or even a cheap cast vinyl. You'll have to keep your bits sharp or the mask with tear instead of giving you a clean edge.