Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any way to spray a mask on a lacquered finish and then cut paint and remove the mask

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by jssussex, Dec 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. jssussex

jssussex New Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Sussex WI
    First I'm a retired serious hobbyist who carve small custom signs. I'm experimenting with decorative carving in cabinet doors and have a finishing question. Is there a material I can spray on a lacquered door as a release agent so after I carve and then glaze, paint or stain the carving I can go back and wash off the door and remove all the overspray /paint thats on the door surface. I have a bunch of doors from damaged cabinets to practice on so this is just a learning process for me.

Lacquer is just to sticky to remove any finish any other way. I do not want to put a new finish on door because the surround dooors will not match after that.

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    brush-on latex mask?

3. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
  4. Eric H

Eric H Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds like you could also use a vinyl paint mask, instead of a spray on mask.

5. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Have you considered using medium tack transfer tape?

JB

6. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    +1 for paint mask or even a cheap cast vinyl. You'll have to keep your bits sharp or the mask with tear instead of giving you a clean edge.