• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any word on an HP Latex flatbed printer?

Lindquist

We purchased an HP Latex 560 last year, and we absolutely love it. The only downside has been the need to apply vinyl whenever we use it. We also operate an HP Scitex FB700, which we also love, but the difference in print quality (or just the sheen of the print) between the two is significant.

So, our general manager has periodically asked me "Does HP have an Latex flatbed printer?" The dream is to eliminate the application and keep the print quality. We would also love to have the same colors coming out of the flatbed and the Latex.

As far as I can tell, the answer is "no," but I stumpled upon another thread from 2016 that suggested it may be in the works. Have there been any new developments on this topic?

Thread from 2016: HP latex flatbed printer!?

CanuckSigns

I'm skeptical due to the huge amount of heat needed to cure latex ink, heat and flatbed printers do not work well together due to material warping, there are enough issues with just the heat from the standard UV lamps causing material to warp and cause headstrikes.

flyplainsdrifta

i feel like its a pipe dream for any hope in something other than a r2r for latex. the process just is not the same and i feel if anything, it would be even slower than the og fb700. i mean realistically, how would that work? you see what i am saying? a4tm i just can't think of a way it can happen. fingers crossed for something cool and new from hp though ...its about time.

bannertime

Seems like you could have a dual head like that new Canon. Use some type of infrared heating element on it. I like latex but I don't think it'd be economical. If they invested any money they'd put into a latex flatbed, into improving the UV machines, that'd be cool too.

johnnysigns

Heard all the same stuff at SGIA as well. Although not directly from HP, they weren't allowed to talk about anything official at all. It's definitely piqued our interest although I'm not keen on buying the first model of any new technology brought to market.

flyplainsdrifta

if the strides they make from 1st gen to 2nd gen are anything like original latex it may be a couple years since we see peak design of the latex flatbed. im just curious to see how they will do it and if it will be able to keep up with the speed of the machines thatve been coming out over the past couple years. dunno. itll be an interesting year for printers in general to say the least.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
We mainly use a flatbed, A true Flatbed in that sense that i see you have Is more a long the lines of a hybrid.

I know what you mean with the difference between UV inks and Latex. Im not sure how well latex will stick to other media, But the only real application i see for it would be Aluminium composite sheets for artwork/high res images. Other than that, i dont see the need for latex on rigid media.
And the temps need to cure latex it'll just buckle the media. Cause it to lift off the vacuum table and jam between the table and gantry. That will cause big damage.

If you want a flatbed with more shiny inks, Get an Oce Arizona with 255 inks and have the lamps set to medium and you'll get a decent shine with the prints. But that ink is for indoor use mostly, and not very flexible.

ToTo

Professional Support
Or buy a Durst where you are able to select if it should print matt or glossy, also selectable for special areas...
But FB latex should be launched 2018, as far as I heard about. But you never now, HP is a marketing company. As long as there are rumors about, the market will wait with its investment...

flyplainsdrifta

so i believe that hp may or may not be doing an unveiling at isa in orlando. not positive. only hearing rumblings from here and there. don't quote me, but it looks like we will be seeing this soon!!

Vibesgirl

It is not a public unveiling at ISA, but a private event that requires an NDA to be signed. The public announcements are expected in May. From what I hear this is a game changer in technology, hybrid, fast, high quality, and a white that can't be beat.

flyplainsdrifta

realllllllllllly?! bummer. was hoping to catch a glimpse of it in action. so you've heard that it will have a white ink??

It is not a public unveiling at ISA, but a private event that requires an NDA to be signed. The public announcements are expected in May. From what I hear this is a game changer in technology, hybrid, fast, high quality, and a white that can't be beat.