• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone else allergic to vinyl?

Arstron

A little back story, I've had my own sign business for the last 8 or 9 years, about 3-4 years ago I started having a lot of problems with my hands. The palms of my hands and fingers would peel, crack open, & bleed. I seen several doctors and allergist and couldnt figure out what I was allergic to, I finally narrowed it down to something in vinyl. About a year and a half ago I started working a new profession and just doing signs on the side here and once my hands cleared up I havnt had a problem with them since. So I am curious, has anyone else experienced any problems like this or know of anyone that has?

Desert_Signs

I had an employee that was allergic to vinyl, similar symptoms as you, so I've heard of it. He was mostly a flatbed operator so he rarely touched it, but when he did, he would get little bumps on his hands.

Nuagedesigns

Met another shop owner was allegic to the fine dust from vinyl that occurs from cutting it with a plotter. He ended up with breathing issues as well a your symptoms. Had to sell and get out of the buisiness after 10+ years it came on suddenly. Last I knew he was fine since getting away from the business.

player

Have you considered you may have been using cleaners and solvents that are "defatting agents"? They remove the oils from your skin, and if continued long enough, you skin permanently loses the ability to produce oil and the drying and cracking becomes permanent. Pretty much and cleaner, soap, solvent, alcohol etc. will contribute to they symptoms you describe. Even handling the paper backer and transfer tapes can contribute. I use organic coconut oil to moisturize my skin.

tbullo

Superunknown
My hands are torn up too. Never thought it could be vinyl. Been to doctors and haven't figured it out. This makes me wonder, never really had any problems till I started using printable material...