• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone ever heard of Ulano® Plasti-Cut Sta- Sharp

Chops

I saw this stuff called Ulano Plasti-Cut Sta-Sharp. It is for making stencils. I was wondering how you adhere it to a mesh screen? What chemicals do you need and what is the procedure? Any info would be awesome. Thanks.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Did you go to their website ulano.com? Or try asking this same question on a t-shirt site ltike http://www.t-shirtforums.com

you use water to adhere it to the screen. once dry it's ready for your image to complete the stencil and make your screen.

Mosh

This is pretty much what we used in JR. high. Why not use a photo film (capilary film) or better yet emulsion? What are you planning on screening?

Chops

Just have problems with emulsion. Some areas it is too thin and doesn't work right. I need to get a scoop or troth. My work just had some extra. Decided I would give it a try.

RichardGreaves

I saw this stuff called Ulano Plasti-Cut Sta-Sharp. It is for making stencils.

I was wondering how you adhere it to a mesh screen? What chemicals do you need and what is the procedure?

Ulano Sta-Sharp is knife cut stencil film designed for water based poster & graphic inks, so it IS NOT adhered with water. A sign forum is exactly the place to ask these questions, rather than a T-shirt forum.

Sta-Sharp is adhered with a blend of solvents called Sta-Sharp Adhering Liquid. You need to check at work to see if they still have any left. Instructions with pictures are shown on the web page the other posters have listed.

A knife cut film is not exposed with UV light. I assume you don't don't have an exposure unit if you don't even have a trough coater. Without an exposure unit, capillary film & direct emulsion are not very good suggestions. You cut the film with a sharp razor (hand or machine), and you peel away the open areas that you want ink to pass through.
KnifeCutFilmOnLightTable.17.jpg
If the film is past its freshness date, it could be very hard to adhere. Look for a LOT# that starts with R or S.

There is a very good amateur video about adhering knife-cut film with Ulano Sta-Sharp Adhering Fluid in this un-supported video.
"Silkscreening with Zach Klein" http://vimeo.com/709064

Last edited by a moderator:

Chops

Thanks Richard. Yeah my boss told me you use sta-sharp, but he never really gets to showing me anything. I was thrown into running our CNC gerber saber with nothing but a phone for tech support, a manual, and the internet. I had to do a lot of signs for a hospital scene for Russell Crowes movie The Next Three Days. I caught on pretty quick. I like to do screen printing on the side. The shop has gotten out of it for the most part. We still have a roll of the film that we cut out with our plotter/cutter. Thanks for clearing that up.

d fleming

Many moons ago we used to adhere this product with lacquer thinner. Same thing will remove it, hint hint

nodrenim

Ulano also has a water based hand cut film, Ulano-cut green water soluable, IIRC. it adheres with water, is used with solvent based inks.

petrosgraphics

i used sta-sharp for years... formulation has changed over the years.. you can try
using lac. thinner, i think you will have better luck with ulano adhering liquid... it can be found on-line, will cost a bit more to ship because it is a solvent... good luck