• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Anyone familiar with Azek Sheeting?

Gary Wiant

I'm new to CNC so I'm not super familiar with all types of PVC. I have a customer that wants to sell me 74 sheets of Azek PVC I need to go in today and look at it. I was told it is either 1/2" or either 3/4" smooth on one side wood grain textured on the other side.

Is this stable enough to use for exterior routed signs?

Is it structurally stable enough to build furniture from?

How does it route?

Thanks
Gary

Johnny Best

He has sheets? I have used the decking tongue and groove for finishing signs. It is harder than your typical sign PVC.
Will last a long time outside. It is structurally strong.
Never tried routing it but saws cut it nicely.

Gary Wiant

Yes 4'x8' sheets it is a housing manufacturer & they had houses they had to cut it down on a table saw & use it for exterior trim on. Now the contract is done & they want to get rid of it. I saw online that 3/8" & 1/2" should be mounted solid &not used for trim so I'm hoping it is 3/4" I'm just not sure where I'll store 74 sheets of it.

billsines

I have never done Azek before, but a few thoughts:

I doubt it's the right material for furniture. Tons of builders around here use the recycled milk jug plastic to make their outdoor furniture. No one is using Azek.

I have CNC'd the recycled milk jug plastic before, and it is NOT same thickness throughout, so if you are V-Carving and Azek is the same way, you are in for one real headache.

V-Carving fine lettering on the wood grain side may give you the same kind of headache.

So if it routs well, what happens after? Paint? Will any paint adhere to this stuff?

From a business standpoint, I wouldn't buy material in and then try to find something to do with it. I would only buy material for jobs you have in the pipeline.

johnnysigns

Vycom I believe is the manufacturer, they've always been super helpful to talk to when we had questions about the right fit for a particular job we were quoting. It would be worthwhile to get in touch with them to ask any questions. I should have contact info if you can't find anything online.

Gary Wiant

Billsines - for the price I'd be getting them for it's worth it if they are usable. My biggest concern is where I'd be storing them

rossmosh

Azek makes all sorts of different PVC products. Their sheet product is just cellular PVC that is similar to Komacel or any of the other brands.

In a pinch I've bought the trim boards from Home Depot when I didn't feel like buying another full sheet of 1" Komacel. It was fine.

The 1/2" sheet is okay for smaller signs but is definitely good for cut letters. 3/4" is good for small to medium signs and also letters.

I'd look up the price of Komacel (or whatever your local sign supply store sells) to give yourself a baseline. Then I'd pay well under that price or just walk away.

billsines

Billsines - for the price I'd be getting them for it's worth it if they are usable. My biggest concern is where I'd be storing them

It's Azek...put it outside on a pallet or something else that will keep it absolutely flat. Put a tarp over it. Mow around it for several years. Then resell.