• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone installed this before?

signgal

I thought so too...

The story: I have a client, who's, I guess a "big time graphics broker" type, for lack of a better term or knowledge on the subject and he has a upscale client with only a few locations across the country (one in my city). They frequently change the "window dressing". They put in a wall and platform for mannequins and change the graphics on the wall every few months when a new campaign comes out. We've changed them out once so far. It has to be done over night and they have a low budget maintenance guy pull off the old graphics first. He damaged the wall, ended up having to spackle and repaint and we had to wait for all this to finish before we could put up the graphics the broker provides... NOT fun!

We made some suggestions to our client, to make the job faster, better and more profitable. He looked into them and his client actually found out about this and will be outfitting the window walls with the receptors. So he told me to prepare for this type of installation.

So, I'm wondering if it's as easy as it looks LOL Anyone?

J Hill Designs

looks fairly easy IMO, but I'd personally worry about the "magnetic flux lines" lining up -- like if you put one mag over another, unless they were cut when stacked, they will almost never be able to line up because of the positive and negative fluxes not adding up

Kwiksigns

wookie
I think it looks fairly easy... Only thing I've done similar is chalk paint... have fun. I think if it is up pretty high, depending on the graphics, it won't matter too much if they line up perfect.

signgal

the way all the videos show it going on, they make it look like a cake walk but I've gotten cynical in my old age. I ain't buyin' it. Jhill makes sense to me and brother, these people are PICKY!

I don't do any of the surface prep (the part like chalk paint) just the rolling out the magnetic stuff. I asked the broker doing the printing if the print quality is good because of how picky their client is and he said he wasn't happy with it but the client has the final say. We'll see... should be in February... I'm preparing like a good little sign gal :D

signgal

yeah, Bill... we wanted them to do a banner stretcher system because the wall is free standing with the upper portion and sides open and the bottom covered by the platform... throw some hooks out of side and slap that puppy up there. :( no go.

I'd show you the install cuz we wuz proud of it but I think it compromises the client...

Circleville Signs

So....basically - adhesive backed magnetic stuck to the wall. Digitally printed magnetic stuck to the wall hung sheets.

That's ain't rocket science.

It also isnt' a great idea (as pointed out by a few here).

Why not do something similar with a backer wall mounted with stand-offs, and have the different sections standing off different lengths? Create some visual depth?

And you wouldn't have to mess with magnetic...

Gary

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guess I don't get it. Seems like you're adding some extra steps and cost for no reason. It's a slick looking process, but just doesn''t make any sense to me......

Can anyone explain why you would make some something harder than it needs to be ??

signgal

ok, did anyone watch the video(besides Pat, Stacy & Jhill)?! It is for the client who frequently changes their graphics. It's no more expensive then what they are doing now because the cost of the mag will be deferred by less labor cost. The initial prep of the wall to receive the magnet sheeting is an initial cost only and will not be incurred each time.

As I said, the client is not real concerned about cost here. They are high, high end and want the entire advertising campaign changed over in a night's time.This should take much less time.

And... as I also mentioned, the end user is not my client. The broker is not even pleased with their switch to this but they are sold on it. They probably used it in one of their other companies they own and liked it. I don't know...

In other words, I am being hired to do this installation regardless. I have not been asked to give my opinion and my earlier suggestions were rejected.

So... I will keep bumping this, hoping one of the many fantastic and experienced professionals on this site will be able to give me just a bit of insight.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I have installed it.

It would have been a piece of cake but the magnetic was rolled to tight and the liner ripped every inch or so during install.

Just like signgal said, the purpose of the product was to replace me. We were doing a national install 4 to 6 times a year (300 sqft of vinyl each time) We installed this product and had to train the employees how to roll out the new graphics.

I wouldn't get too excited about it unless you are the one printing the replacement panels.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Thats cool, I wonder if any of the customers in that gym noticed it is a magnetic system and have tried to throw some free weights up there to see if they would stick.

wayne k
guam usa

signgal

I have installed it.

It would have been a piece of cake but the magnetic was rolled to tight and the liner ripped every inch or so during install.

Just like signgal said, the purpose of the product was to replace me. We were doing a national install 4 to 6 times a year (300 sqft of vinyl each time) We installed this product and had to train the employees how to roll out the new graphics.

I wouldn't get too excited about it unless you are the one printing the replacement panels.

warning well taken but they won't train their employees to do this and we'll continue to get paid to install it as long as the broker continues to be as in love with us as he is now. However, if by some chance we do lose the work, I'm not really sweating it. This was a job that came out of nowhere and it was like found money. We were paid well and it will be a new experience to tuck into our little book of knowledge :)

Thank you very much for sharing! I will be sure to let them know not to roll it too tight.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If you are installing on a painted wall, you can not reposition it. The adhesive is pretty agressive, and the paint will peel if you try. When I installed they didn't have to butt perfectly. Also, make sure you knock off the high spots in the paint.