• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Anyone running print/cut jobs between VersaWorks and VersaWorks Dual?

LMC

Is anyone running print/cut jobs between VersaWorks and VersaWorks Dual?

Here is our situation. We previously had two Roland VP-540i machines. Running one as our primary printer and one as a cutter and backup printer for overflow and small jobs. We started getting into issues with the back up and ended up selling it. Now we are looking to replace it with a new VG540. The dilemma... The VG is running VersaWorks Dual and the VP is ineligible for the upgrade. That said, we loose the ability to run prints on one machine and switch it to the other to cut. Or do we? We have asked a few reps, no one seems to know. We have a time set up next week to go and test it on a demo printer, until then I thought I would check with you guys. Now I know there are other ways to set up the flow of production. But, Ideally I would like to keep doing things the way we have been and not have to stop printing to cut a job here and there.

Thanks in advance.

Speeddm2

Is anyone running print/cut jobs between VersaWorks and VersaWorks Dual?

Here is our situation. We previously had two Roland VP-540i machines. Running one as our primary printer and one as a cutter and backup printer for overflow and small jobs. We started getting into issues with the back up and ended up selling it. Now we are looking to replace it with a new VG540. The dilemma... The VG is running VersaWorks Dual and the VP is ineligible for the upgrade. That said, we loose the ability to run prints on one machine and switch it to the other to cut. Or do we? We have asked a few reps, no one seems to know. We have a time set up next week to go and test it on a demo printer, until then I thought I would check with you guys. Now I know there are other ways to set up the flow of production. But, Ideally I would like to keep doing things the way we have been and not have to stop printing to cut a job here and there.

Thanks in advance.
Good Day LMC Just wondering how this worked out?

CanuckSigns

We run a VG640, previous versa works files are not compatible with versaworks dual, it won't open them. so no you will not be able to print on one and cut on the other.

LMC

We run a VG640, previous versa works files are not compatible with versaworks dual, it won't open them. so no you will not be able to print on one and cut on the other.

Instead of loading a file saved from Versa Works, have you tried loading the original print file with all the original setting and cutting from that?

Dr. Decal

Yes you totally can print on the VG-540 and cut on the older machine.

We run a VG-540, and have a SP-540V as our backup. Although I have to have both versions of Versaworks to run both machines, it will find crop marks and cut just fine on the old SP. I've actually found that Print/Lam/Cut jobs actually register better on the SP than the VG.

Just make sure you load the same exact file into both versions of versaworks. Print Only on the VG, then Cut Only on the older machine and you should be fine.

P.S. Something I have painstakingly figured out...The VG will read crop marks MUCH better if you turn off the LED print lights. I assume the glare off of the laminate bothers the optical eye that reads the marks.

CanuckSigns

Yes you totally can print on the VG-540 and cut on the older machine.

We run a VG-540, and have a SP-540V as our backup. Although I have to have both versions of Versaworks to run both machines, it will find crop marks and cut just fine on the old SP. I've actually found that Print/Lam/Cut jobs actually register better on the SP than the VG.

Just make sure you load the same exact file into both versions of versaworks. Print Only on the VG, then Cut Only on the older machine and you should be fine.

P.S. Something I have painstakingly figured out...The VG will read crop marks MUCH better if you turn off the LED print lights. I assume the glare off of the laminate bothers the optical eye that reads the marks.

Interesting, we have old roland versaworks files that were created with the original versaworks that can not be loaded into versaworks duo.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what your workflow looks like, say you need to print, lam and contour cut 50 decals, do you create 1 file that has all 50 pieces and bring that into versaworks, or do you bring in 1 decal and use versaworks to set up the 50 copies? The reason i ask is if it's the latter, I'm not sure I would trust 2 different copies of versaworks to place all the decals in the exact same location/orientation, knowing how flaky versaworks is with nesting objects.

Dr. Decal

I use the original .eps or .pdf file depending on the art. I rarely convert anything to actual versaworks files.

I have found that tiling a single decal in versaworks holds a truer cut contour than if I send it over as a bulk file. When sending to the older version of VW to cut, I just make sure my media width is exactly the same as what was printed in VWdual. Same amount of tiles and tile spacing, and it usually hits the crop marks first try.

Believe me, I was skeptical at first with the same concerns you have. However, I have done this many times without any trouble. KNOCK ON WOOD.

CanuckSigns

I use the original .eps or .pdf file depending on the art. I rarely convert anything to actual versaworks files.

I have found that tiling a single decal in versaworks holds a truer cut contour than if I send it over as a bulk file. When sending to the older version of VW to cut, I just make sure my media width is exactly the same as what was printed in VWdual. Same amount of tiles and tile spacing, and it usually hits the crop marks first try.

Believe me, I was skeptical at first with the same concerns you have. However, I have done this many times without any trouble. KNOCK ON WOOD.

Good to know, thanks for clearing that up