• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone tried to print to 80gr paper?

jimmmi

Hello, has anyone tried to print simple things, like letters to 80gr or even 90gr paper with good results? With hp latex 300-500 series

Bly

We print 80gsm bond paper for an artist who does paste ups.
Prints quite well on our 360s.

Tyler Birch

We usually use Lexjet 200g poster paper, anything under that gets too translucent.

As far as print-ability we just ran a very light HP Printable wrapping paper on a 12 pass 150 F profile (100% density) and it was working fine.

Be sure to advance and attach the media to a take up reel if you're getting headstrikes near the beginning.

Also check the HP Media locator before you buy any new media for your latex printer!! (you might even be able to download a ready made profile too)

https://www.printos.com/ml/#/medialocator

jimmmi

We usually use Lexjet 200g poster paper, anything under that gets too translucent.

As far as print-ability we just ran a very light HP Printable wrapping paper on a 12 pass 150 F profile (100% density) and it was working fine.

Be sure to advance and attach the media to a take up reel if you're getting headstrikes near the beginning.

Also check the HP Media locator before you buy any new media for your latex printer!! (you might even be able to download a ready made profile too)

I know that many papers over 150gr are able to print on latex. I ask for 80-90 because its for very cheap and one day usage. Few hours. Cheap CAD paper that's used for plotters is the cheaper media i found yet for this job

jimmmi

I think the only roll i can try is HP Universal Bond Paper that comes in 3" core. The cheaper come to 2" core.

JPR-5690

I’ve printed on HP universal bond on our 560 and it’s a pain in the ass. The paper is so thin that the vacuum pulls the paper into the ridges on the platten and you end up with noticeable lines of graininess on the finished print from where the paper was further away from the print head.

If it’s for ultra short term use then it probably doesn’t matter though.

I downloaded the profile off HPs library (on the printer panel or online) and if I remember right i turned down the vacuum. I also try to run on a 8-10 pass with only 70-80% saturation. Too much ink almost water logs the paper and causes it to cockle and warp. Too fast of a speed and the carriage will catch on the smallest curl and rip your paper to shreds.

JPR-5690

I’ve bought that wrapping paper before and was confused why it was so easy to mar the printed image. Can i ask what printer/profile settings you’re using and if you encountered the same thing? Even the printed samples I’ve gotten can be easily scuffed with a light brush of your fingernail.

jimmmi

I’ve printed on HP universal bond on our 560 and it’s a pain in the ***. The paper is so thin that the vacuum pulls the paper into the ridges on the platten and you end up with noticeable lines of graininess on the finished print from where the paper was further away from the print head.

If it’s for ultra short term use then it probably doesn’t matter though.

I downloaded the profile off HPs library (on the printer panel or online) and if I remember right i turned down the vacuum. I also try to run on a 8-10 pass with only 70-80% saturation. Too much ink almost water logs the paper and causes it to cockle and warp. Too fast of a speed and the carriage will catch on the smallest curl and rip your paper to shreds.

I will try to use it. I will try to use little vacuum, little temperature but probably needs take up from the beginning. To have tension. Also 60% ink is enough for short term like i need. For a one day use.

Tyler Birch

I’ve bought that wrapping paper before and was confused why it was so easy to mar the printed image. Can i ask what printer/profile settings you’re using and if you encountered the same thing? Even the printed samples I’ve gotten can be easily scuffed with a light brush of your fingernail.

Sorry for the late reply!

I use a 10 pass with 100% density at 140 F (sounds low, right?). You probably have up to 15 F wiggle room if it's still smudging.

I downloaded the profile, it's called 'HP Satin Wrapping Paper'