• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone using an Epson 9800???

jddzigns

My boss bought an Epson F6070 for printing on aluminum blanks while we have an Epson 9800 collecting dust. Now we're printing aluminum blanks with a grainy look because the F6070 has larger droplets (designed for textiles). I want to set up our 9800 with a set of Sawgrass inks and use that machine for metal prints but my boss isn't convinced that the 9800 will give us better quality (grain-free) prints. If I can show him a print on metal produced by a 9800, I think he will be convinced. So my questions...

• Do you do dye sub prints on a 9800? If so, can you sell me a print on aluminum?
  • How's the quality compared to a 9890? How does it compare to F6070?
  • Other than the Sawgrass ink, what other stuff do I need to get the 9800 doing dye sub work?
  • Is there any way to get the F6070 printing sharper? I tried different profiles and media. I set up the media type, did and nozzle cleaning, head alignment, feed adjust, etc. I dried the prints in the press before sublimating.

NOTE: we have Wasatch Soft RIP.

WasatchRaven

This is Ryan Rawlings with Wasatch Computer Technology. I'm the tech here who has produced the profiles for the Epson F-series printers, including the profiles for Unisub Chromaluxe plates.
Producing good Chromaluxe prints on the F-series printers can be a little tricky, its more of an art than science. If you have a current service contract, I would recommend calling our support department and asking for me or emailing wct@wasatch.com with your serial number and your contact information and I can contact you and walk you through some steps to possibly improve the quality of your Unisub Chromaluxe prints.

rubo

why don't you just print on aluminum direct? forget sublimation - just more steps and chances to mess up things - and it costs more. get some inkaid (inkaid.com), coat the aluminum and print away. if you mess up, wipe it off and start again - you can't do that with sublimation. don't need a rip for it. clear coat after the printing. i do that all day everyday - used to print on 7800 which is the younger sibling of your printer, i go with 9700 nowadays. let me know if any ??

knucklehead

Or, might want to check out ChromaRoll aluminum. The new version has a more brushed look. Direct print with pigment inks, and now is self adhesive. I just got a sample roll, haven't had a chance to try it yet. chromaroll.com I reckon.