• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Application Tape For 3m 1080 / Ij180c

BGphx

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for suggestions for transfer paper that will actually stick to the backing material on 3M 1080/ IJ180C. I'm looking at, RTAPE HIGH TACK CONFORM 4075RLA, or 3M SCPS-2 HEAVY PAPER APPLICATION TAPE.

Is there something else out there that I am missing? Does anyone have any experience with these two? The RTAPE that I have used in the past never would stick to the backing paper from the IJ180C. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm not familiar with any transfer tape that sticks to a liner.
If you're having problems with transporting cut graphics, I would suggest cutting a weed border around your plots and leaving what's outside of it- applying the transfer tape over it. The "extra" vinyl will give your transfer tape something to adhere to and prevent it from coming up. The installers can trim the excess on site.

Stella_FB700

I usually match the IJ180Cv3 with 3M tranfer tape - they offer many solutions for what you are looking for.
I use prespacing Tape for applications with cut outs.

danno

We really liked the American Built Rite AirMask. Our customers preferred a product that had a 3M name in it, so we went back to the 3M SCPM44x

BGphx

The reason why I need it to stick to the backing paper is because they want to use that as alignment for installing on the vehicle. It would make sense to create a border for the app tape to stick to, but I would also like to avoid "tunneling". If it was just for me I wouldn't mind, however, I am sending my graphics to different locations and I am trying to look as professional as I can. Thanks for the advise up to this point.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
The reason why I need it to stick to the backing paper is because they want to use that as alignment for installing on the vehicle. It would make sense to create a border for the app tape to stick to, but I would also like to avoid "tunneling". If it was just for me I wouldn't mind, however, I am sending my graphics to different locations and I am trying to look as professional as I can. Thanks for the advise up to this point.
For alignment, I would always cut a rectangle (or square) around the graphics and trim out for a straight edge to use. You might also want to make note of how your installers transport graphics. I found they were often the root cause of graphics getting messed up because they'd just (literally) throw graphics into the floorboard of the truck- and then pile a bunch of crap on top of it.

BGphx

I am actually referring to cutting out the transfer paper to provide alignment positioning on the vehicle. like the photo below. That's why I need the transfer paper to stick to the backing paper.

upload_2017-3-20_15-18-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-20_15-17-40.png
    upload_2017-3-20_15-17-40.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 182

printhog

Those green arrows point to the alignment tabs yeah? Nice idea.

So are you wanting to machine cut the app tape and the liner all around the finished graphic.. ? That seems to be what I'm seeing..

If so there are two ways.. test the various app tapes for suitability.. but you'll want a thick tape that doesn't shift under cutting pressures.

Might need multiple passes with a 60 degree blade to cut both layers.

Use the perf cut feature of your plotter to keep some media connected. Otherwise mess.

Option two. If you do a lot of these all the same.. buy a roller die cutter or clicker press and use a steel rule die to cut the top edge. I got a cheap Chinese one and OMG it's way faster than plotting. PM me for a contact for steel rule die making.. the setup fee is surprisingly low.

its only a freaking sign!

RTape 4075 won't work, I can assure you of that. That's our go-to transfer tape for everything and we end up just stapling the corners of the tape to the IJ180 backing paper if we have to transport graphics somewhere.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Question for Gasouthpaw....
What installers are you using that the installers you use are throwing the graphics on the floor of their truck? Find new QUALITY installers!

My opinion to your issue:

1. Produce your graphics
2. Pull those center strips only. Leave all the rest. Graphic and registration tabs.
3. Tape

If printing anything, print the words REGISTRATION ONLY. REMOVE BEFORE INSTALL o those parts

If this is not an option. Fold and tape them to the transfer taped graphic. Then the installer just needs to fold them out, align and apply.

Any qualified/good installer will understand these and be able to install without any issues

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I've seen people use tabs of masking tape to secure the corners of the app tape to the back of the liner. That is the only thing that works for that or you could hand trim the app tape so it doesn't extend so far past the graphic. Another solution would be to ship the graphics flat (expensive but effective).