• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying laminated vinyl to ACM question

SignShopDave

I have a sign that I am making for a client. I am covering the old logo on the sign board they used in the past.

I am going to use some Arlon SLX cast wrap and cast laminate that I have here in the shop. should I cut the edges 1.8 inch from each edge of the ACM or wrap it around the back side a bit? I want it to last as long as possible.

I am new to this stuff all I have ever used was cast vinyl in the past never this print and laminate stuff.

untitled

I think it's a little overkill to be using the Arlon SLX vinyl for this but if it's just scrap you are using up sure why not. Not sure why you would trim an 1/8" from the edge or wrap around the ACM. I'd just take my knife and trim along the edge. If you are really worried then just put some Primer 94 along the edge.

If the old logo is cut vinyl I'd be more worried about being able to see the height difference from the old logo in the vinyl that is covering it. I would remove the old logo first.

SignShopDave

Thanks. the old logo is printed so worries and this will be seen at a distance. The company said to just go over the old stuff. What print vinyl and laminate do you recommend? If there is a cheaper option ill buy a roll to have in stock. I called my supplier and that is what she sold me.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I cut 1/8" from edge.
I don't get why you'd do this. Why not just make your print 47.75" x 95.75" and inset it? And what if the image is full bleed? Then you have a thin white border around it.
We just trim to the edge. Never have an issue.

TravinFlavin

I agree with the first response. A good cast vinyl is SUPER overkill for an ACM sign. I cheap calendered vinyl like Oracal 3651 would work just fine. I've made hundreds this way and always trim right to the edge.

ikarasu

Print to the edge and trim. We do hundreds of 4x8 ACM, Plywood, etc... Always trim to the edge and no issues. Mostly we use cheap IJ-35... It never shrinks for the length of time ACM is up. If a customer tells us the sign is to last longer than a year or two, we may step it up to 180/IJ40.

ikarasu

For 10 years we generally use aluminum... We also would use 180 or equivalent 10 year vinyl.

I'm sure we've had some alupanel signs up for ten years, i believe they're warrantied for 5 depending on the brand.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't make the prints 1/8" less because it's too easy to get them off track by 1/8". And maybe I was incorrect at 1/8... more like 1/16". I don't like trimming to edge because it could cause lifting. No one notices a 1/16" trim

TimToad

what do you all use instead of ACM for 10 year signs? maybe my supplier has been telling me the wrong thing.

We try to sell clients wanting a "permanent" long term sign on having us make a formed panface out of .063 or .080 aluminum depending on its size and applying either diecut vinyl, hand lettered or usually laminated cast vinyl prints wrapped to the back edge, but never all the way around the back side of the flange.

We really like these types of signs because we get to manipulate the depth of the substrate without needing to use solid material to do so.

Installation is super simple by attaching a length of aluminum angle iron to the wall at the top and bottom inside dimension of the panface and then just popping the panfaace over them and zipping a few screws on the top and bottom flanges through the edge of the sign and angle iron. No visible hardware anywhere on the sign but those couple of screw heads.

Very clean and long lasting.

Attachments

• 20180718_101301.jpg
    20180718_101301.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 256

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We try to sell clients wanting a "permanent" long term sign on having us make a formed panface out of .063 or .080 aluminum depending on its size and applying either diecut vinyl, hand lettered or usually laminated cast vinyl prints wrapped to the back edge, but never all the way around the back side of the flange.

We really like these types of signs because we get to manipulate the depth of the substrate without needing to use solid material to do so.

Installation is super simple by attaching a length of aluminum angle iron to the wall at the top and bottom inside dimension of the panface and then just popping the panfaace over them and zipping a few screws on the top and bottom flanges through the edge of the sign and angle iron. No visible hardware anywhere on the sign but those couple of screw heads.

Very clean and long lasting.
We do lots of these this way too, but I missed how we got off in to pan signs??

TimToad

We do lots of these this way too, but I missed how we got off in to pan signs??

The OP asked this question a few posts back. "what do you all use instead of ACM for 10 year signs? maybe my supplier has been telling me the wrong thing."

jimmysings

point is still the same..i am tired of yahoos who work out their garage and pay no taxes or overhead giving stupid ridiculous low quotes to customers and "redoing" signs how about be a real salesman and get them to buy a new substrate instead of giving your work away...if you don't like that or think i'm an ****** you prob won't be in biz long!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To me, looking at the poster in question here, he's only been a member for a few weeks, so he didn't have a chance to remark on this subject when it was still hot, but at least people are viewing and re-viewing old threads and comments are acceptable..... good, bad or indifferent.

He does have a very good point, but one which seems to fall on deaf ears, anymore.​