• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying Metal to Vinyl

KGraphics

Hi,

I am looking to make a polymetal sign with a matte vinyl front, then apply letters and numbers made from cut steel for a business address sign. Any ideas of how to apply the steel to the sign without ruining the vinyl? Is this possible?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Stud mounting would be my first inclination (I prefer to over-engineer as opposed to having parts fall off). You could also use VHB with dabs of silicone, provided you prep the letter backs correctly and the vinyl is applied correctly (so doesn't become a fail point).

rjssigns

First question is how big and heavy are the steel letters? If they are actually steel to get that rusty patina you need to be carfeul on mounting. In that case stud mount is the way to go. Over time the rust will push the lettering off if not mechanically fastened.

Otherwise, can you cut out the vinyl where the steel lettering goes? That would allow you to VHB and Lexel the steel directly to the poly metal.

I agree with GaSouthpaw though. Overbuild it to last two lifetimes. Nothing worse than call backs.

KGraphics

Thanks everyone! The letters should be quite light as the sign is only about 28" wide, but the thickness of the polymetal makes me nervous to studmount as it will be quite thin. I think perhaps cutting the vinyl out and adhering the steel directly to the polymetal might be my best option.

unclebun

The polymetal being thin is immaterial. You put the stud through the polymetal and put a washer and nut on it. Clip off the stud so it doesn't stick so far out the back.

KGraphics

Thank you! I sent a mockup to the customers and they are now thinking of going another direction...isn't that how it always goes?!