• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying Oralite 5600 onto calendared laminate?

RG

I have a customer who wants an odd sign. He wants the business name in reflective vinyl. I have Oralite 5600. I intend to print his graphics on calendared vinyl, apply it to a sheet of MaxMetal, and laminate it with calendared laminate. Would it be OK to apply the reflective on top of the laminate? Or, under the laminate? Or, both are bad ideas? Customer doesn't want to pay for printed cast vinyl & laminate.

The Sign Goddess

Vinyl Slayer by trade
You can apply the reflective over the laminate. I wouldn't put the reflective under the laminate as air will get trapped at the edge of the vinyl and I've seem premature material failure because of it.

• Agree
Reactions: RG

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Sign Goddess has it right. I would just add if you wanted to protect the reflective and the print, you could spray laminate it as well.

RG

Thanks The Sign Goddess and VanderJ. What is a good brand of spray laminate? If using spray laminate is there any need for the cold, sheet, laminate to be applied?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks The Sign Goddess and VanderJ. What is a good brand of spray laminate? If using spray laminate is there any need for the cold, sheet, laminate to be applied?

You could do both but if you want to save some money and only spray lam it, that could work. I'm not too knowledgeable about if spray or vinyl lam lasts longer but the spray allows you to laminate the raised reflective without leaving air gaps and also will seal the edges a little.

The Sign Goddess

Vinyl Slayer by trade
Personally, I wouldn't even bother with spray laminate if it isn't anything that you have on hand. The vinyl adhesive will fail long before the color fades and the spray laminate won't stop that from happening. His need to save money isn't worth your time trying to make something that will last longer than designed. I would produce as you had planned and install the reflective over the laminated print. Any decent reflective is going to hold up without any need for additional cold/spray lamination and should outlast the calendared material it is being applied to.

wildside

Curious to how big the sign is? Why even offer calendared and cast? The cost difference is what.... a dollar a square foot so don't see the reasoning behind this being an option for the customer.