• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying Printed HIP to Powder Coated Blanks

Renato Pinto

Graphics Manager
Has anybody every applied 3M HIP Sheeting Series 3930 onto Powder Coated Aluminum blanks?

We are printing on the HIP with our 560 Latex and using 1170 electrocut as overlaminate. We can apply the sheeting to the signs just fine but now, we're getting to the bigger signs (8' by 3' sheets of .080 metal). We've set these signs out in the sun for a full day and little wrinkles start showing. Not sure if it is the HIP unsticking from the blank or the sun is making it expand?

Maybe the powder coated signs haven't fully gassed out?

Thoughts?

Renato Pinto

Graphics Manager
Are the wrinkles in the reflective to metal layer, or the laminate to reflective layer? In my experience HIP won't wrinkle, it's too dang thick, especially if little wrinkles are appearing. Are these full color prints, and is it possible your laminate is delaminating from the printed material? I've seen many posts about this issue, but never experienced it myself.
Also, are you using rapidtac or some other application fluid, or sticking dry?
From what i see, it looks like its the reflective to metal layer.

And yes, i thought the same thing. HIP is so thick and such high tack that i had a hard time believing it.

The prints are full prints, yes. we're using the HP profile made just for this material so i wouldn't think its the printer.

We're cleaning the surface with rapid tac but sticking it dry.

Renato Pinto

Graphics Manager
Quick question on your process. You are printing on a roll of the HIP, then are you laminating the 1170 straight to the HIP, then applying to the blanks?
You may want to change it up, printing to the HIP, sticking the HIP to the blanks, then laminating that with 1170.
I could imagine the HIP getting 'stretched' if too much tension is being applied while applying the 1170 in the laminator, but that'd be an awful lot of tension.
Is there any particular way you recommend doing that? I'm asking since the overlaminate is roll-fed so its definitely more practical and bubble-free to laminate the printed HIP and then mounting the signs. I haven't tried it but i feel like manually applying the 1170 the sign with HIP would be difficult and cause a lot of bubbles.

I will definitely try that though.

equippaint

Fast forward to about 1:30 to avoid a bunch of nonsense
It's better to hold onto the backing paper rather than take it all the way off like he did. It keeps tension on it and minimizes the risk of wrinkles.
I thread our laminator for rolls like this too, doesn't waste any film and is fast.