• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

applying see through vinyl on curved glass on vehicle

Jean Shimp

I don't have a lot of experience applying see through vinyl on vehicle windows. I was asked to apply it to the back of an SUV where the glass is curved. Does the curvature cause the material to wrinkle when applying? If so how do you deal with that? Also, do you seal the edges once it is applied and how about if there is a windshield wiper - does that cause the material to wear off prematurely? Thanks.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
1. We remove the windshield wipers from almost every vehicle we put perf on

2. Install using "crescent" squeegee strokes. You will find the natural curvature once you start. Do NOT stretch the vinyl lay down naturally

3. Once applied cut back 1/4" OR use apply Perf Line before installing graphic. This leaves the proper relief cut

4. Apply edge seal tape to edges

Remember window perf is approximately 1 year when sealed. It is recommended that the windshield wiper not be used

studio 440

I don't have a lot of experience applying see through vinyl on vehicle windows. I was asked to apply it to the back of an SUV where the glass is curved. Does the curvature cause the material to wrinkle when applying? If so how do you deal with that? Also, do you seal the edges once it is applied and how about if there is a windshield wiper - does that cause the material to wear off prematurely? Thanks.
yes

Bly

We always laminate.
Don't use heat when installing.
We run a bead of primer round the edge and trim flush.

ams

Apply it in direct sunlight and allow the perf to get warm or hot, when you stretch around the curve, pull tight to shrink wrap it. It has always worked perfect for me. If you stretch too much you will distort the holes, so be careful to pull just enough to conform to the window.

IslandSignWorks

Perf film has no stretch to it, esp. when you use the optically clear overlams. Compound curves are tricky. Some windows cannot be covered depending on how curved they are. We did a small SUV (maybe a Nissan?) with a big bubble on the back and it failed 3 times before we finally gave up and left it off. Perf film is never awesome except on big flat surfaces like busses and subway train windows. The marketing people love it but the drivers usually hate the reduced visibility. If it goes on an operable window, the window can never be opened again and the wipers must be removed if they're on there. It can't be installed below 40F if you're in a cold climate.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Perf film has no stretch to it, esp. when you use the optically clear overlams. Compound curves are tricky. Some windows cannot be covered depending on how curved they are. We did a small SUV (maybe a Nissan?) with a big bubble on the back and it failed 3 times before we finally gave up and left it off. Perf film is never awesome except on big flat surfaces like busses and subway train windows. The marketing people love it but the drivers usually hate the reduced visibility. If it goes on an operable window, the window can never be opened again and the wipers must be removed if they're on there. It can't be installed below 40F if you're in a cold climate.
Why can you operate a window or wipers? My truck has a roll down rear window and I use it all the time, our clients have unlaminated perf and they use their wipers with no issues as long as the blades are good.

To the OP just remember there are 2 types of Perforated film, calendered for general purpose and cast for curved surfaces. Both work for most installs but on extreme curves or bubbled surfaces you may need to go with cast.

IslandSignWorks

Why can you operate a window or wipers? My truck has a roll down rear window and I use it all the time, our clients have unlaminated perf and they use their wipers with no issues as long as the blades are good..

That may be OK in Arizona but up here in Maine we have brutal road salt, sand, and grit to deal with. Decals don't last one winter with a wiper.

boxerbay

unlaminated perf is a safety hazard. when it rains the holes fill up with water and you cant see out the rear. you should be using cast vinyl with cast optically clear overlam. 3M8171 + Oracal 290GF