• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

applying vinyl on magnets. please help!

ironchef

Hey all. Does anyone have any tips on procedures and how to setup the printing for applying printed vinyl on magnets. We have been doing cut vinyl the past 17 years. Just got a new printer and habing some trouble with applications. I have a job thats 24in. X 26in. Magnets for tomorrow. Any advise please? Or links to youtube videos.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Line up two corners perfectly and squeegee away to the other end.

From start to finish... about 45 seconds.

Malkin

Is your trouble with the application, or with file setup?

Can you be more specific? Sticking digital prints to magnetic is not much different than cut vinyl lettering.

Salmoneye

I don't get the question, how would this be any different that printing and applying to any other substrate. Elaborate and maybe someone can help.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have had great success with applying to magnets wet. No idea why; I don't do anything else that way, but magnets seem to work perfect every time wet-installed.

Mosh

I use the Big Squeegie, lay it on the magnetic then trim and corner round after application.

Salmoneye

I use a yard tool from big squeegee (I am starting to sound like a salesman).
1. I usually print/cut to 1/8" smaller than the size for magnets and real estate signs with slightly rounded corners.
2. Place on mag and align using two corners making sure that the space around outside is equal.
3. While holding in place put two pieces of masking tape, maybe 2" long. One on top center anchoring print and mag to the glass table, and one on the bottom center doing the same.
4. Fold over first 1/2 onto itself then peel back liner and cut straight with scissors.
5. While holding print up a bit by the very edge slide yard tool underneath and push it all the way to the end. The mounting part only takes maybe 1 second per side and it comes out perfect every time.
6. Remove 2 pcs tape and mount the other side without removing backing paper, it slides forward on it's own when pushing the tool.

This is a really fast way to mount, you can re-use the tape pieces and mount 100 real estate signs in no time. One of my favorite tools that I wouldn't be without. Also you can train someone to do this in less than 5 min and they don't have to ruin any.

Pro Image

Same as Mosh here......layout the pint on the mag apply trim the sides and round the corners and your done....

BBworks

After you apply your print just the way you would cut vinyl or even wet. Round or clip the corners. Its worth investing in a .75" radious corner rounder. We make vehicle mags on a weekly basis.
Anyone have any luck printing directly on Magnet? I have done it lots with our EDGE but the Roland has trouble printing without marbleing.

Mosh

A corner rounder is standard equipment at most shops...I thought!
I never apply wet on ANYTHING but etched glass material.

ironchef

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay. Its been a long day. Ill elaborate on my situation a little bit. But thanks for all the advise. I have a print and cut. The first set of magnets that i did had a white background so i printed then cut exactly 12in. X 24in. Had my employee cut the magnets out to 12x24. And tried it the same method i do with regular installs(trucks mostly).

ironchef

Salmoneye said:
I use a yard tool from big squeegee (I am starting to sound like a salesman).
1. I usually print/cut to 1/8" smaller than the size for magnets and real estate signs with slightly rounded corners.
2. Place on mag and align using two corners making sure that the space around outside is equal.
3. While holding in place put two pieces of masking tape, maybe 2" long. One on top center anchoring print and mag to the glass table, and one on the bottom center doing the same.
4. Fold over first 1/2 onto itself then peel back liner and cut straight with scissors.
5. While holding print up a bit by the very edge slide yard tool underneath and push it all the way to the end. The mounting part only takes maybe 1 second per side and it comes out perfect every time.
6. Remove 2 pcs tape and mount the other side without removing backing paper, it slides forward on it's own when pushing the tool.

This is a really fast way to mount, you can re-use the tape pieces and mount 100 real estate signs in no time. One of my favorite tools that I wouldn't be without. Also you can train someone to do this in less than 5 min and they don't have to ruin any.

This is usually the way i do it. From step three and on. I guess my mistake is printing and cuting it to that size. I should leave some bleed area right?

carter75

A corner rounder is standard equipment at most shops...I thought!
I never apply wet on ANYTHING but etched glass material.

I hate doing wet applications, and used to use them for etched glass vinyl too, but now we get an etched glass vinyl made by mactac that is called b-free. It has air release channels and applies easily even dry just like regular vinyl.

ironchef

For regular installs that is. We've been doing cut vinyl on plotters for 17 years. So I'm a noob in the printing world. If it was cut vinyl with transfer i just measure with tape on left and right top corners. Once measured place 1in. Scotch tape across the top. Half on transfer half on substrate. Peel backing and well you know the rest. So with printed stuff. Do i print a quarter inch bleed area and maybe a cut line? or cut magnets a bit larger, and print to actual size. And trim. I'm thinking print to actual size no cut lines. And i wont cut them either. That was a mistake lol.(cutting to actual size) right? Mind you i did a regular cut not a half cut. I'm going to try cutting the magnets a bit larger and applying the print that's at actual size. Which its printed already. So tomorrow ill apply. What do you guys think? .....oh and thanks for all the advise guys.

Malkin

Be a little simpler to print with margin/trim marks then you don't have to bother with the plotter cutting. Then apply to end roll or oversized piece of piece of mag and trim to marks.

ironchef

Yes! I want something steel that the magnet will hold its place. Ill go to home depot and see what they have. Ill probably bring a piece of mag to test it

ironchef

Thanks malkin. So print with a bleed and leave a cut line(like i design business cards). And apply to over sized magnet. And cut.....Sucks that I printed them already to actual size so i could leave them off gassing. I also find it way easier to work with vinyl the day after printing. I guess ill have to cut like a 1\8in. off after applying to magnets.

ironchef

I'm going to buy a bs tomorrow aswell. I had a bubble with the last set of mags. Using the purple felt squeegee