• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Applying vinyl to existing awning

SignFan

Was hoping to find the answer in earlier threads, but did not. How would you make sure cut vinyl stays on an awning? Frog juice on top of the vinyl? What if the awning is a bit loose around the frame and will move with the wind? Earlier suggestions were to paint, but that's not an option here due to cost.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Vinyl, other than something called dactac is not meant to stick to most awnings.

So, please tell us what kind of awning material it is and why doing it the correct way is too expensive ??

That's like saying I have a molar which cracked in half. I don't want it pulled and I don't want it crowned. I can't afford that. Just put a cavity filler in it and do it right.

SignFan

Vinyl, other than something called dactac is not meant to stick to most awnings.

So, please tell us what kind of awning material it is and why doing it the correct way is too expensive ??

That's like saying I have a molar which cracked in half. I don't want it pulled and I don't want it crowned. I can't afford that. Just put a cavity filler in it and do it right.
Thanks, Gino. The awning may be replaced within a year to 18 months by the landlord. Also, the prior owner did an existing awning in the same neighborhood where if was painted first, vinyl applied on top, then a clear coat paint. That lasted just under a year and the customer called to complain. What's dactac?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Dactac will only stick to a real canvas awning. Need to know what your awning is made of. If its already painted, just walk away. If they don't wanna do it right, then don't do it at all. Your reputation isn't worth it, unless you're a schmuck........ :peace!:

Tell them to forget lettering the awning and letter the front window, if they don't wanna do it correctly.

studio 440

Gino is correct it has to be hand painted or screened the only vinyl that will work is a thermal pressed material like sunbrella . Most awning fabrics are coated with a water repellant and are screened before that process If you can cut the vinyl why not make a mask and paint it and hope it doesnt bleed .Best to just hand paint it with a brush , I too dont understand the options due to cost

Billct2

You have to know what the material is in order to pick the right way to do the job. And painting may be the only way to make it work.