• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying vinyl to tents

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It would really help if you described the type material (for the tent) being used for this application. There's a myriad of ways to accomplish this.

If this is one of those "pop up" tents, typically 10'x10', most of them nowadays won't accept vinyl. A few years ago most of the manufacturers started using flame-retardant fabrics. The chemical that provides that feature keeps vinyl from sticking very long (like plasticizer migration). Learned that the hard way. We get the tent manufacturer to print directly on the fabric for us.

AKwrapguy

I would look at printing onto banner material and using velco to hang it. This way they could look at changing it whenever they wanted.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
I have been using a vinyl product for several years that works really well on tents and fabric awnings. It comes in 15" x 50yd rolls punched and it feels like a tough fabric with self-adhesive backing on wax paper that cuts just like any other roll of vinyl. You have to set your blade deeper though it's harder to cut out than even reflective vinyl. I keep a roll of black and white on hand to show up on whatever color awning it's going on. It lasts outdoors about 5yrs and can be removed and new lettering applied to fabric awning. Don't remember where I bought them, I don't use them everyday, It doesn't have a brand name on the backing wax paper but the inside the core was a label that says Techniflex Insignia Cloth

petepaz

i would use a high-tack vinyl but i generally don't do this. every time they fold it up and set it up it's going to cause issues with the vinyl. not going to last.
(how long depends on how often they use it) really best if ordered with the graphics on it

S4mxdotcom

Find a wholesale sublimation printer and have an entire new top made , sublimated from the beginning. That is the most permanent way . We had done heat transfers using some of the low temp Nylon transfer materials , and also used high tack adhesive vinyl for temporary stuff. There are many different canopy top types of materials now though. I've even used some of the low temp heat transfer material on an umbrella. I expected to se a melted mess when I popped the press open. But to my surprise it worked out well. There are wholesale places that will make custom sized tops for an existing frame , or sell you an entirely new canopy. The best value is in a fell setup. If the customer has a cheap canopy/tent then a sublimated top mi9ght cost more than what they paid for the canopy to begin with.