• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Applying wall vinyl

VinylLab

I'm about to apply a 4'x4' printed logo for a client and need some pointers. I can't remember the brand of wall vinyl I have, but it's 6mil, matte, and actually meant for walls.

I want to ensure I prep/install correctly so I don't get a call down the road about my graphics falling off the wall.

It's a lightly-textured wall painted with Sherwin Williams paint. That's all my client knows about it. I've read that latex paint isn't good for most vinyl graphics, is that correct? Is oil-based paint best?

How should I prep the wall? What should I clean it with? I'm going to apply the graphic with medium-tack transfer paper and a hard-bristle brush meant for wall vinyl.

Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

SeaWriter

Sweep the surface with the edge of a steel rule, It will catch on the bumps, lumps or roller fluff. Shave these off with a straight blade. Do not over fuss, but these little bumps will show up like a pimple on prom night.

shoresigns

Your description of the vinyl sounds like Avery 2611. It's 6mil, matte, and is designed to be used without laminate.

Avery has a very detailed guide that includes information about different types of paint that work better than others, how to prep/clean the wall, etc.

https://graphics.averydennison.com/...terior_Wall_Graphics_Tips(rev 5_06-24-13).pdf

I installed my first wall mural with this material recently, without any training, and it was quite easy to do. The print doesn't scratch very easily, even though it was eco-sol printed (felt squeegees only though!)

J Hill Designs

if its 2611 it basically works on smooth semi-gloss to gloss paint only. tried it on textured, flat finish and it fell right off

VinylLab

Thanks guys. The graphic has a cut design in it as well so the mask is required. What do you suggest I clean the wall with? Should I use a heat gun with my rivet brush?

shoresigns

if its 2611 it basically works on smooth semi-gloss to gloss paint only. tried it on textured, flat finish and it fell right off

Was it a mural or just a logo? I don't think this material is designed to be used in small pieces. Murals only. I put it up several months ago on drywall that was freshly primed, not even painted and no signs of failure yet. That said, you're right that it will definitely always stick to gloss paint better than matte. After installing, you have to go over all the edges and seams thoroughly with your squeegee - that's probably the most essential part of the install.

toomeycustoms

You may want to test the wall first to make sure the paint won't give you problems before applying the large decal. Maybe take a small patch of vinyl and apply it and let it sit overnight. We sell a lot of wall decals made from Oracal 631 and have had trouble with the "Low/NO VOC" and stain blocker paints from Sherman Williams, especially the Emerald Line. The decal will apply fine, but after 24 hours edges start peeling and the decal will eventually fall off. Not quite sure about the Avery 2611 though. I know that phototex/graphitex seems to works fine though.

Gman75

Textured wall no good

This materials are ment to work with smooth surfaces.
Any texture will cause the material to lift and not stick.

Sign Eagle

Depending on what is ment by texture, if it just nominal texture from a paint roller, 6mil should not be a problem, but a course texture would be. Cut lettering or graphics can be a problem with transfer tape, use medium or lo tac tape. Test the paint with a scrap of vinyl, most any vinyl will work, just push the scrap on with your finger, if it has a good grip, you should be ok, if it pulls off easy, you will have a problem with the large graphic. When you apply the lettering, take it easy getting the tape off and after removing the tape go back over the letters with a rivit brush.

StudioSignsInc

Like others suggested, test a piece to see how it sticks. Once the vinyl is on go over the edges hard with the rivet brush then slowly peel back the app tape. If the edges stick you're good to go. After the app tape comes off heat gun the vinyl and use the brush again. You should see the difference right away - the heat and pressure from brush will help it stick. A hand foam roller used for vehicle wraps work great too.

Attachments

• HAND-ROLLEPRO.jpg
    HAND-ROLLEPRO.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 104