• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apprentice Handbook?

jtinker

Owner
Is there by any chance a book with all the basics of sign making for a beginner. We are currently in the process of training a new staff member but there is a lot of information and we need to give him a jumpstart that doesnt already assume that you know about signs. Is there like a basics manual that someone like that would be able to say take home and study. My apprenticeship lasted two years, we dont have that kind of time to work with. Any extra help to speed that along in the form of literature would be excellent.

rjssigns

IMO it's best to learn by doing. Especially when it comes to anything that involves physical work. Before I'd do anything in the way of training make sure they show up for work on time every day, don't leave early, aren't texting etc...

Plus most folks the attention span of a gnat. Reading a book? Your kidding right? Your new shop person may be better informed with higher retention by watching videos.

If the person has a true desire, great attitude and work ethic they will learn rapidly.

Kottwitz-Graphics

IMO it's best to learn by doing. Especially when it comes to anything that involves physical work. Before I'd do anything in the way of training make sure they show up for work on time every day, don't leave early, aren't texting etc...

Plus most folks the attention span of a gnat. Reading a book? Your kidding right? Your new shop person may be better informed with higher retention by watching videos.

If the person has a true desire, great attitude and work ethic they will learn rapidly.

So well said. I agree 110%.

Craig Sjoquist

Does nobody go to school anymore to learn a trade & trade related fields.

I went to school for every hand crafted trade & still take classes

rjssigns

Does nobody go to school anymore to learn a trade & trade related fields.

I went to school for every hand crafted trade & still take classes

Lots of trade schools around. They're called technical colleges now. The one I went to can teach you carpentry, woodworking, machining, welding, and many others including how to be a millwright.

Graphic design, typography, layout, it all gets taught. Trades are a huge part of the college.

Heck you can even get a degree in viniculture (wine making).

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Being that the OP is in the Bahamas, a country of only about 377,000.
I don't think there are schools for sign making. The US has 100 times it's
population and we only have a handful of schools which makes it nearly
impossible for the average person to go unless they are close to the schools
to attend (or they have money) Then there is the...

Do I spend 20-40k on trade school to get a $14.00 an hour job or..
get a job for 11 bucks, work like hell and get a raise or move on to another
shop for 15 an hour....

Even if there was a book, it would be useless without the hands on. I'm
thinking the it's probably hard to find employees, your just gonna have to
to it the old fashion way.

TimToad

When I took over the shop last May, I found this book on the shelf named "Sign Builder Illustrated" by Simmons-Boardman Books

It was published in 2005 and while a tad dated, each section is authored by an actual signmaker. At first I thought this seems kind of hokey, but a lot of the information is VERY practical and well presented.

Is it a "training manual" ? No, but its loaded with lots of good, basic, real life stuff.

Billct2

[h=1]I just looked this book up because I couldn't remember the name.
Practical Sign Shop Operation by Bob Fitzgerald

[/h]It's a basic text about small sign shop operation but was written before the vinyl era.
And the only copy I found is $148.50...I'm going to look in my bookcase now to see if I still have it...
I knew I'd make a good profit on something in the sign trade someday.